Chapter 2- Drowning

What would you say if you could say
Everything you needed to
To the one, you needed to?
You flash like a setting sun
You come around, I come undone
Can't find the sound under my tongue
When I look at you
I lose my voice when I look at you
Can't make a noise though I'm trying to
Tell you all the right words
Waiting on the right words
Just another lovesick afternoon
Black butterflies and déjà vu
Hoping for the right words
Waiting for the right words
- Black Butterflies And Déjà Vu • The Maine

The three Pevensie siblings made themselves up the dreary staircase, passing Eustace on the way. They didn't care for him like family should, and so, just moved on as if nothing had just happened. After all, Uncle Harold continued the same way.

James was sure nothing had changed about Uncle Harold since the war started.

The three made their way to the bedroom on the top floor of the house. It was very much the smallest room James had ever seen, and was made worse by two hospital beds being crammed in there. One half belonged to Lucy, the other, James. There was no real difference between the two sides; only that James' was full of fresh drawing materials and books, whereas Lucy was tidier.

Despite having two beds, the three siblings had decided to congregate on Lucy's. Apparently space wasn't completely necessary.

James grabbed a leather bound book from his own bed, and a lead pencil before lying on his back. Edmund sat up straight, legs dangling off the edge of the bed as Lucy did the same.

As a whole, they looked sort of nautical. Each of them were dressed in a combination of blue and white shirts and sweater vests. Though there was a shortage of materials, the Pevensie siblings usually managed to go through life without having matching clothes.

Lucy opened the letter, swiftly, and her eyes scanned it over briefly. It seemed she had to before she could read it aloud for her brothers, otherwise it might've been a little messy.

"Dearest James, Edmund and Lucy, I do wish you were here with us." The young girl began, and the eldest began to sketch. There was a picture in his mind, and so he turned to a new page, and got to drawing. "It's been such an adventure, but nothing like our times in Narnia. America is very exciting, except we never see Father. He works so very hard."

There was a brief interjection where James pointed out that their Father had always been a hard worker. To this, both Edmund and Lucy agreed. It wasn't as if they wouldn't.

Lucy continued. "I was invited to the British Consul's tea party this week by a naval officer, who happens to be very handsome. I think he fancies me." The girl sighed, and James glanced upwards. This was only to see Edmund stand and face the wall.

There was one thing in particular he found interesting, and James didn't have to look for long to know what it was. It was a painting of the ocean, not very large, surrounded by a gold frame. It used a lot of impasto, and that was intriguing to James, but there was something more to it than that. A boat sat in the back ground, sailing over the waters, smoothly. There was familiarity to it all that he didn't understand.

A painting shouldn't have given him such a strong impression of home.

"It seems the Germans have made the crossing difficult right now. Times are hard. Mother hopes you all won't mind another few months in Cambridge." Edmund turned in exasperation, and James dropped his pencil. "Another few months? How will we survive?"