Chapter 14

"I'd rather lie
then tell you I'm in love
with you."

"There's Scott and Stiles," Jade commented, gesturing her lunch tray at a table in the middle of the cafeteria. Max and her headed over to their friends, past all of the chattering students.

"What makes you so sure that Derek has all the answers anyway?" Stiles stated to Scott, not noticing the twins coming towards them.

"He definitely doesn't," Max said, throwing himself into the seat beside Stiles, while Jade took the seat next to her cousin.

"But during the full moon he had full control! Meanwhile I was running around attacking some poor innocent guy! " Scott exclaimed, attempting to keep his voice down so other students wouldn't hear. He wasn't doing a very good job.

"You don't know that," Max tried to debate. Debating had never been his strong point. He'd once been on a debate team, but got voted off because apparently he didn't know how to be quiet or how to accept the fact that he might be wrong. In his opinion, it was utter bullshit.

"I don't not know it. I have to cancel my date with Allison," Scott said sadly, letting his head collapse onto the table.

"You know you look like a lost puppy when you do that," Max laughed, almost choking on his bottle of juice.

"What?"

"You look like a puppy when you're all sad. It's funny," Max repeated, joking with his cousin. Stiles turned his head to the side, studying Scott's face. He wasn't wrong.

Remembering what they were originally talking about, Stiles continued. "No, you're not cancelling okay? You can't just cancel your whole life. Jade can help you." The three boys look expectedly at the girl.

At this point she had given up on the conversation and had resulted to scrolling through Instagram. Videos of dogs doing stupid things and pictures of people on their holidays or with friends were better than listening to the group. Noticing that the talking had stopped, she looked up. "Huh?"

"You'll teach Scott to control his werewolf tendencies, won't you?" Stiles noted, crossing his arms while waiting for a response.

Raising her eyebrows, she put her phone onto her lap. "One, could you say that any louder because I don't think Chris Argent heard you." Stiles rolled his eyes. They both seemed to clash but not clash at the same time. They had the same sense of humour and sarcasm, which could sometimes be a good thing, or an irritating thing. Like they were too alike, which made them annoy each other.

"And two, I'm a witch not a miracle worker. Only werewolves can help other werewolves control the shift," she replied, taking a spoonful of her yoghurt. Before anyone could object, a group of people sat down at their table.

Allison said a small "hello" to Jade. She moved down a seat so that the brunette could sit beside Scott. Danny, reluctantly, sat on the other side of Stiles. Lydia took the seat on the other side of Scott and someone she didn't know took the seat at the head of the table.

"Get up," Jackson said, to the boy who was sitting at the head of the table. "How come you never ask Danny to move!" the boy exclaimed.

"Because I don't look at his girlfriend's coin slot," Danny quipped back, grinning. Laughing, Max gave Danny a high five from behind Stiles. "So they're saying it's an animal attack. I heard a cougar."

"I heard mountain lion," Jackson said.

"A cougar is a mountain lion," Lydia replied, rolling her eyes slightly. Jackson raised a brow at his girlfriend who quickly feigned a look of stupidity. Jade watched the scene with curiosity as it unfolded in front of her. She didn't get why Lydia had to make herself smaller for the man. Especially not when that man was Jackson, who was an asshole if she'd ever met one. "Isn't it?"