2

P.EVANS + J.POTTER

<2>
closing onto christmas

A FEW MONTHS HAD GONE BY, and lots had changed between the two girls. With Christmas now coming close, the same could be said about her sister's arrival. As Lily would be coming home in a quick week to see her family.

The two sisters had talked briefly since Lily's first response in early October. It would mostly be Petunia talking about her day, or how lonely she would feel without her sister or friends. Lily continued to stay short with all of her responses — only coming up with a line or two for her sister.

Petunia was upset with the fact, but was nonetheless happy to see the familiar owl perched on her window, carrying parchment against its leg. Her sister's handwriting, something Petunia dearly adored, would always bring an ounce of happiness to the blonde. And she had even named the owl, along with buying her treats whenever she would visit.

       Petunia was currently out shopping with her mother for Christmas presents. The two had been out since early morning, and the small girl was having the most fun she had in awhile. Since she was never able to leave the house, this small ounce of freedom was all she'd hoped for.

       And with her mother knowing her enthusiasm, she watched the girl carefully, making sure Petunia wouldn't make too much of a disruption.

       The eleven, soon to be twelve year old girl was excitedly looking at the shelves — finding herself on her tiptoes for the most part of shopping. She had picked up books and jewelry, jackets and boots, trying to find the perfect gift for her sister.

        Her mother had smiled fondly at the girl, feeling as her heart grew warm at her sweet daughter — especially once she pulled out two golden lockets, immediately looking at her mother pleadingly.

Isabel Evans couldn't say no.
But she did say something.

"Did you bring your allowance?"

        Petunia Evans, after spending her entire allowance for the gift, strutted out of the small business with her mom following step. Her head was held high as the youngest Evans tried to act more mature than she truly was, causing her mom to laugh behind her. That was soon followed by an embarrassed girl saying 'mom' in response, leading another family to laugh next to her.

       A man and a woman, with the kindest looks on their faces, watched the two adoringly, quietly chuckling at the girl.

      Petunia, who had heard them, looked at the pair curiously before matching their smiles. "Hello!" She greeted politely, "Petunia Evans, nice to meet you," Her smile widened, holding out a hand.

       The woman was the first to respond, shaking her hand gently and introducing herself. "Euphemia Potter and my husband Fleamont," She lightly laughed, "Not very shy, are you?"

         "I apologize," Isabel Evans spoke next, "She doesn't get out too often."

The small girl's nose crinkled at the comment, but she chose to ignore it as she dug through her bag, showing her new friends what she had just bought. "All with my own money too!" She added in shortly, a proud smile painted on her face.

      Euphemia, not thinking she could like the girl more, felt her heart become heavier at her words. "I'm sure she'll love it, Petunia."

      "I hope so," She nodded, being ever so gentle as she placed the necklaces back into her bag, "She's been gone for a bit— I'm hoping this will get her to talk to me again!" She tried to remain positive, but found it hard once she'd noticed the three fallen faces, "But everything's great!"

       Isabel awkwardly glanced at the Potters as she pulled her daughter back to her side. "Her sister, uhm, she's gone away at school" She tried to explain, "Super busy, doesn't have the opportunity to talk much."

      "Understandable," Fleamont assured, "We have a son, James — I think around your age," he added in, "We get letters twice a week, which is great. Just used to seeing him all the time."

        Petunia gleamed at his words, especially with the hope of gaining a new friend. Though, as if Isabel Evans was reading her mind, gave the small girl a look and she nodded her head in disappointment.

"It was lovely meeting you!"

P.EVANS + J.POTTER