Chapter 61: Flattery

Chapter 61

Flattery

I slumped down the stairs and looked between the kitchen and the living room. My mom was singing along to the radio, and my father was watching sports. I chose the lesser of the two cheer options.

Flopping down on the couch, I tucked a pillow under my head.

“Get all your homework done?” asked my dad.

“Yep.”

“Let’s hope you didn’t fall too far behind this week. All this talk about after you graduate might not happen if you fail.”

“Most of it was review worksheets, dad,” I muttered.

“Have you studied for your finals?”

“Yep.”

My father tapped his finger on the remote. “For a teenager with all their homework done, you sure look excited to have a free weekend.”

“Don’t dad,” I muttered.

He lowered the volume on the TV. “What’s wrong?”

With a sigh, I sat up. “Titus is ignoring me.”

“Well being broken up with, even if it just pretend, can be upsetting.”

“He can still reply to my text, though,” I stated. “Or answer my phone calls. We don’t have to stop talking to make people think we broke up.”

“Aden.” My dad shifted in his chair and gave me a sad smile. “You bruised his pride, son. Normal men can be touchy when it comes to their pride, but werewolves,” he shook his head. “they take it hard.”

“I didn’t do anything to bruise his pride though,” I retorted. “Darius and Xavier thought it was the best thing to do to keep Titus safe.”

“Werewolves, especially the dominant ones, don’t want to be kept safe, Aden.”

I shrugged. “Maybe.”

“Not maybe,” he stated. “All this is making Titus feel like he can’t protect himself or you. I’ve dealt with werewolves long enough to know it wrecks their confidence, so give him some time, Aden. What you’re doing is the best option, but in a pack setting, it would still be pretty embarrassing to have your mate tell you to get lost. Even a werewolf like Titus.” He winked at me.

I let out a deep breath. “Yeah, as unshameful as the man, Titus might be,” I shot him a smirk. “Way to make me feel like a jerk dad.” Stretching out in my seat, I pulled my ring out of my pocket. “So, you know werewolves, how would you cheer one up who had a blow to their ego.”

My dad shrugged. “Flattery.”

“Flattery,” I scoffed. “Like what?”

“A society ruled on a hierarchy determined by one's strength, the higher ups in WIR call it kissing alpha ass.”

I laughed. “Well Titus isn’t the alpha, so I don’t think that’ll work.” Rolling my ring around my palm with my thumb, I came up with an idea. I jumped up and went to the kitchen. “Mom.”

“Yes.” She turned down the music.

“Could I borrow one of your necklace chains?”

She wiped her hands off on a towel. “What for?”

I held up the ring. “I don’t want to lose it,” I said with a forced grin.

“Hmmm….” She raised an eyebrow and walked past me to her bedroom. Returning soon after, she put a long silver chain in my hand. “Will this one work?”

“Yep, that’s perfect.” I kissed her cheek. “Thank you.”

Running up the stairs, I went into the bathroom. I thread the ring onto the chain and fastened the end. After taking off my shirt, I looped it over my head. I took a few pictures through the mirror. Finding one I liked, I sat down on the toilet and typed a cringe worthy message. If anything, it might make him tell me off for being so cheesy.

I sent it and waited. Nothing. I put my phone on the floor and pulled my shirt back on. Still nothing. Grabbing my phone, I went back downstairs to watch TV with my dad. I sat down on the couch and waited. My phone buzzes in my pocket. I took it out and smiled.

“Titus?” he asked.

I nodded. “Yep.”

“How’d you get him to reply?” He narrowed his eyes at me.

I tucked my necklace under my shirt. “Flattery.”

****

Short and Sweet, but something a little funner before everything goes to hell ;P