XXV

From the cloud of debris, civilians and debutants scattered like ants. Adria stood, frozen in the face of pure Titans. She couldn't tell how many there were through the chaos, but none of the Marlean rifles were able to penetrate their thick hides.

      Viktor's scream echoed above all else and her gaze was pulled from the Titans. Three guards piled on top to restrain him, they seemed to be under the direction of the maid. She gestured off towards the city and Viktor was dragged, kicking, and screaming for her whilst the other Tybur's including Willy were evacuated.

     "Protect us Helos!" one of the patrons shouted at her.

     Adria stepped back as they were crushed beneath one of the Titans feet.

     She had no weapons to defend herself and she couldn't muster the willpower to self-mutilate and activate her Yelts gene.

      "It's the Devils!" screamed another.

      "Helos!"

       Helos. Helos. Helos. Helos.

       Adria inhaled a sharp breath and caught eye of some of the armed guards, their rifles trailed her. If she didn't gain their favour, she would surely die. Adria set her shoulders tight and jumped onto the back of one of the squat Titans. She set it off balance and kicked it across the jaw before it could feast on a group of children dressed in foreign garb. The Titan propelled into the wall and slumped forward.

       The children echoed the cry of Helos in thanks, scattering out of the arena.

      However, to her surprise, the Titans didn't follow the crowd. Faint sparks of electricity crackled off their features and their eyes narrowed in on her. Adria cocked her head and raised her hands defensively.

        This couldn't be a rescue squad from inside the Walls, they hadn't experimented enough to create their own Titans. Whilst these had no overt sentience, Adria could tell that they were being manipulated somehow. This was evident by them homing in on her as a target.

        Adria swiped her boot against the dirt and saw the fallen spear one of the actors had dropped at the start of the commotion. She flicked her toe and the weapon flipped into her hand. She twirled it confidently at the circle of Titans.

        "You fuckers better move," Adria lowered her centre of gravity, raising the spear. "Nothing will ever come between humanities strongest duo. Never again."

       There was an echo of gunfire, and the floodlights went out, shrouding the square in a haze of dust. She heard the dull thuds of bodies hitting the fortifications.

        Adria's eyes shifted cautiously, none of the Titans had moved.

        "Humanities strongest duo when together," the unmistakable hiss of ODM wires echoed. "Savagely predictable when apart."

         As Adria threw the spear at the first Titan in front, hollowing out its throat and penetrating the nape, the hiss grew. Adria clenched her jaw and jumped onto the Titan's back to create distance, pulling the weapon out of its neck, and aiming for the next.

        A cloaked figure rose above her, illuminated by the distorted moon light. Their features were shrouded, but their legs were clad in the familiar military harnesses of Paradis' ODM gear.

      Hastily, Adria flicked the spear's point to block the figure's kick, but it was useless. The power behind the reflex movement caused the spear to imbed itself in the wall, tearing at the second Titans nape in its wake.