Chapter 32

Maddy sat in bed and watched as Jungkook came out of the bathroom in his plaid pajama bottoms and big white t-shirt. He flicked off the light and hopped into bed next to her with a smile. She blinked at him a few times. She still couldn't believe he'd driven over in a huff and made her apologize to her parents. "Are you seriously completely unbothered by the fact that my dad said you couldn't stay tonight?"

The light from the hallway illuminated the room enough that they could see each other. "Calm your cheeks, Sunshine. That was before. Your parents love me now. I'm their favorite person in the world tonight." He chuckled, "And honestly for the rest of the week, at least."

Maddy's eyes narrowed, "How exactly, do you figure that?"

"Are you kidding? I defended their daughter's purity! Didn't you see their faces at the end? They love me so much, they'd probably let me move in." Jungkook was obviously thrilled to have her parent's support.

Maddy raised an eyebrow at him as she scooted down in the bed so she was laying next to him, "Oh, is that what all that was about? To get on my parent's good side? I swear you love them more than I do lately. You're such a suck up."

Jungkook's eyes closed briefly in annoyance and he shook his head a bit. He needed her to heal from her surgery so he could poke her in the ribs. He settled on ruffling her hair. "No, that is not why I was mad, you little brat. I already told you why. Your parent's admiration was just a very convenient side effect."

Maddy frowned at him but cuddled to his side and rested her head on his chest, "Well, don't think it is lost on me, the double standard of YOU protecting my virginity. You know, it is very sexist, the way men think it is important for women but not important for men."

"Maddy, that has nothing to do with it. It was WHY you were going to lose it that made me mad. It isn't a double standard because I didn't lose my virginity trying to get back at my parents!"

"Well, that is easy to say when you don't even have parents." 

"Wow, really? You are full of sass tonight, aren't you?"

"Too much? I don't mean anything by it. You can make a cancer joke later to get me back."

"Such a concession, because I'm sure there are some really great cancer jokes out there."  His sarcastic tone wasn't lost on her. He looked down into her eyes as she rested her cheek on his chest. "Maddy, you know it has nothing to do with gender, right? I just want you to have a better experience than I did. The first time I had sex, I was searching for something, anything honestly, to distract me from the pain of losing my father."

"Yeah? And did it work? Did it distract you?"

"Maybe momentarily, but I was fifteen and shy of talking to girls. I never knew what to say when I saw her after, which was stressful. So I just ignored her, mostly, after that. It isn't a happy memory."

"Well, forget it then. When you find the right girl you should just pretend it is your first time and forget the real first one."

"If she is the right girl, I wouldn't want to lie to her."

Maddy popped her head up and looked at Jungkook in the eyes, "I don't mean pretend to her, I mean pretend to yourself." 

"You think I should lie to myself?" He frowned in confusion.

Her eyes were a little twinkly. "Yeah. You will hold her in your arms and look at her eyes that are full of love and think 'this is the first time for real'." 

This conversation might be easier for him to handle if he didn't have Maddy in his arms with her sparkling eyes looking at him. Maddy gave a big smile. "And then, you know..."