Chapter 2

My day stretched by as any other. Creeps flirting with me, refilling orders, getting drinks, setting people at their tables.

I had been there since six in the morning and it was now about 9 at night. I was completely drained. I only had a half hour left though, and then I could go home. Jason had left about 4 hours ago, seeming a little worried that I was staying and working for so many hours.

Thank god for Jason, really. He always tried to look out for me. He was disappointed in me missing so much school so I could work, but he really wasn't in a position to argue, he had dropped out himself 4 years ago, and never bothered to go back.

"Aliyah, come on back to my office. I have to talk to you about something." I heard Scott yell from the kitchen.

I rolled my eyes.

See, in my personal opinion, as manager or owner, the person should set a decent example for the workers. At least participate in the management of the business in SOME way. Scott just liked to lay around, and boss everyone around.

I untied my apron, setting it on the stack of hamburger rolls, and dropped my phone on the counter. I guess that was an advantage to Scott, he didn't care if I was texting during work, as long as I was keeping track of the customers.

His office was back past the kitchen, up a set of stairs, and to the left.

I hated going up to his office, it was so creepy. I felt like I was in one of those horror movies. You know. those scenes where you see the main character doing something completely stupid, and you just want to yell at them "DON'T OPEN THAT DOOR."

Well I didn't exactly have a choice. So I thumped my way up the stairs, hair swinging behind me as I walked.

The door was cracked open and I could see the light shining out, so obviously Scott had called me and then gone right up to his office.

"Close the door behind you." Scott said, not looking up from the papers on his desk when I walked in.

Now I had to admit this; Scott was a decently attractive man. He had to have been in his 30's, with a little bit of stubble forming a beard on his face. His hair was dark, and trimmed slightly short, but not a buzz cut. He actually wore it gelled up a lot of the time. His eyes were a hazel color, and he was relatively short for a guy.

I didn't want to sound like a creep, but with all the time I had spent working with him; I noticed these things. I shut the door behind me, an odd feeling churning in my stomach as I took a seat across from him.

He finally turned his attention to me, pushing the glasses he was wearing further up on his nose, eyes raking down me, making me shift more uncomfortably in my seat.

"How long have you been working here Miss Mahone?" he asked, crossing his arms across his chest, leaning back in his seat to look at me.

I thought back, trying to pinpoint when exactly I did start working, because I had been coming to the restaurant since I was a little kid.

"A little over a year." I answered after a little thought. I had started working in july of 2010, right after the...incident with Kaden. Scott had been willing to hire me so young, and I had been eager for a job. It worked out.

Scott didn't say anything, just kind of looked at me. And let me tell you, it just made my skin crawl.

"You don't act like a 14 year old." he said simply, eyeing me again, like I was some sort of animal or something. I didn't know how to describe the look he was giving me.

He stood up and walked around his desk, stopping in front of where I was seated, leaning against the desk for support.

"Well sir, I'm almost 15. In like.. a month. And sometimes it's better to act a little older than you are." I responded.