6

Chapter 6: The Public Trial

What could be considered the greatest power under the heavens?

Was it the first bonfire the savage barbarians lit, the most primitive of powers? Perhaps it was the clang of metal from the armoured horses and men trying to enlarge their kingdoms on the battlefield, where people had a firm belief in strength ruling all? Or maybe it was the large river nurturing the cities and villages that settled beside it, the power of those civilizations engraved into time?

Walking on a cultivating path was also a common power in the world.

However, to thousands of cultivators, they believed that if one could ascend to the top of Cang Ya Mountain and gaze into the distance, they would have enough power to disdain the entire world!

This world was very big. It was divided into the East Continent, the West Continent, the South Continent, the North Continent, and the Middle Continent. In total, there were five large continents. Thus, there were countless Sects as well, adding up to many different martial art techniques under the sky.

But ever since someone successfully became a Saint two hundred years ago, Cang Ya Mountain from the West Continent became completely deserving of being called the top Sect in the world.

From then on, the saying of the 'Three Mountain Sects', the 'Double Buddha Temples', and the 'Twelve Demonic Sects' was also created.

Everybody was well aware that so long the Sword Saint was still alive, this hierarchy would live on.

Just the Sword Saint was enough to take care of all the important events or catastrophes occurring in the world.

The mountain range extended forever into the distance as clouds covered the vast sky. Hawks flew through the mist as cranes sang their songs.

Each of the six peaks of Cang Ya Mountain were all quite different from each other. There was a dangerous and fierce one, an elegant and graceful one, and a distant and serene one.

Xi Qian Peak specialized in spiritual cultivation, while Xi Hua Peak was home to the best masters of martial art cultivation.

Today, there was a major event occurring in Cang Ya Mountain.

For the sake of this event, the Qing He Palace Hall of the main peak Xi Qian Peak wasn't as empty as it usually was. From the public square to the Palace Hall doors, the area was completely jam-packed with people. The whole crowd raised their heads and gawked while they rubbed shoulders and followed each other's footsteps.

Many disciples had gotten up before dawn just to get a seat near the front.

The disciples of Cang Ya Mountain each had different expressions on their faces. They discussed with each other in whispered tones, lowering their voices because they didn't dared to make a clamour.

But despite the crowd outside, the number of people in Qing He Palace Hall could be counted on one's fingers.

This Palace Hall was so big, one practically couldn't see the end of the main hall. Five square chi1 tiles made out of green jade were elaborately arranged on the ground, polished like the surface of a bright and clean mirror. In addition, the hall had an extremely tall ceiling. Twenty immense pillars made of white jade, so big that it would take the arm spans of three people to surround one, were divided into rows on each side of the main hall. Pictures of clouds and relief sculptures were engraved on them in an unorganized manner.

Six taishi chairs made out of sandalwood were placed at the end of the main hall.

pp
A taishi chair.
An elderly man with snow-white hair and beard sat on the middle chair near the west side. He looked rather solemn and serene, and though there was no anger, he had an air of natural prestige. Behind him stood a delicate and charming girl dressed in pink.