10

Chapter 10: The Academy

In the end, Yin BiYue was unable to go to the peak meeting that had been scheduled early the next morning.

Why? Well, it was because a blue messenger sparrow had landed outside his courtyard.

The letter he received was written on thin note-paper decorated with cloud patterns. On it, the message was composed of straightforward Tai-styled characters printed in profound Huizhou ink.

'Lan Yuan Academy invites you, the esteemed Sire, to return and chat. We eagerly await your arrival.'

Even the words were composed of formal speech and filled with polite honorifics. However, although this invitation was tastefully made, it was actually something any high-ranking Sect or influential aristocratic family could create.  

What was different from those was that the invitation card was not only marked with the Academy's 'Life Blossom Stroke' crest, but also the Academy Director's personal seal.

Lan Yuan Academy was not part of the 'Three Mountain Sects', the 'Double Buddha Temples', or the 'Twelve Demonic Sects'. It was a neutral faction, but behind all of those different powers, the shadow of the Academy could faintly be seen.

The current leader of the Bao Pu Sect once studied in the Academy, and the head of the Jie Kong Temple also went there before to speak about Dharma. The cornerstones of these major sects all had a couple disciples that came from the Academy. The Academy's influence was so great that several illustrious officials from the North Imperial Court Hall had graduated from Lan Yuan Academy as well.

But, what was most important was that the Academy Director was one of the six great Sages.

Duan ChongXuan clicked his tongue in astonishment at the sight of the letter, "This kind of godly method, as expected of the Academy Director. Fourth senior-apprentice brother, do you think the spatial array in the seal can take two people? How about we hold each other and go together?"

The corner of Yin BiYue's lips twitched. He reached out, plucked the invitation back from Duan ChongXuan and read it.

The way the letter was written looked amiable, but it did not indicate a time for departure.

The meaning of that was very simple. It basically meant that the recipient of this invitation was to head out immediately.

He suddenly recalled a vulgar saying from the cultivation realm, "Cang Ya Mountain's tyranny was genuine: 'If you don't accept it then I will beat you until you do, this Lord is the law!' And although Lan Yuan Academy looked gentlemanly on the outside because of their polite and amiable actions, they would not allow you to refuse them.

Yin BiYue's slender finger rubbed the mark at the corner of the letter, the one barely the size of a palm. The red ink paste was somewhat protruding, and the texture felt exquisitely smooth and soft. It was the 'Academy Director's personal mark,' a four character seal without any fancy additions.

Duan Chongxuan watched from the sidelines. Anxiety was written all over his face, as if he feared Yin BiYue would disappear in the blink of an eye.

Once true essence was poured into the spatial array of the Academy Director's personal seal, it would activate the array channel. Lan Yuan Academy was in the middle of Yunyang City, while Cang Ya Mountain was to the west; the distance between them was a thousand miles.

But nowadays, one could get to the other place in the blink of an eye.

Yin BiYue could not think of a reason why an important figure like a Sage would want to see him. He also did not believe it was for the reason Duan Chongxuan had thought of, that 'because you finished school with good grades, the Director invited you back to lecture'. An explanation like that held no weight at all.