Chapter 3 - Vanessa

I always thought I would be living my life under Aunt Amberly's influence.

Maybe even if I study hard enough and land myself in an art school with a scholarship. At least that was my dream.

But that dream-that life-was flipped upside down and torn apart.

Everything changed. Because my aunt was murdered, and because now I had...family?

My heart skipped a beat at Officer Adrian's words.

Family? What family?

Aunt  Amberly told me they had died. She may have been an abusive alcoholic  but I still remember the way she venomously spat the words, "Those bastards left me a bitch like you. Then they died." The malice in her words couldn't be faked...but maybe it was.

Because  Adrian's smile and the glimmer in his eyes made me feel...hopeful? Like  there was a chance for me to finally find a place where I belonged.

Where I could be cared for.

No.

No,  I reminded myself, these were still people connected to Amberly, and  they couldn't be trusted to be angels. More like the devil's spawn.

"What do you mean?" I asked, focusing my attention on the officers.

Officer Adrian  leaned forward, his gaze intense. "We've managed to trace your  biological parents. They are willing to take custody of you and provide  you with a home."

Home. This was my home.

My mind reeled at the news.

Parents?

I had never even known who my parents were, let alone assumed they were alive.

Was this a dream? Or more accurately, a nightmare?

Adrian  must have noticed the shock and confusion on my face because he said  gently, "I know it's a lot to take in. But don't worry, we'll make sure  to go through all the necessary steps to ensure your safety and  wellbeing."

I nodded slowly, still trying to process the news. Parents.

I had parents.

The little girl inside me felt excited and hopeful, while another part of me was scared and unsure of what the future held.

But one thing was for sure: my life was about to change in ways I could never have imagined.

"What happens now?" I whispered, though what actually wanted to say was 'what happens to me?'

"You  will be picked up from the station and your family's driver and you  will be dropped off your their home in Italy where you will meet them."

"When?" Patricia asked, twirling her pen between her fingers.

"Wait, what?!" I stood up, interrupting her. "Did you say Italy?"

"Yes, Miss Vacker."

"Italy," I repeated slowly. "We are in London."

Officer Adrain nodded. "Yes, Miss Vacker. Your family has taken care of and made arrangements for your travel there."

Italy? These people had a driver? How rich were they?!

My mind buzzed with questions, doubts, and uncertainties.

Were they like Amberly? Or Stephen?

"When is the driver coming?" Patricia asked, taking charge of the situation.