water

THIS IS THE BEST TIME OF THE DAY

THIS IS THE BEST TIME OF THE DAY. Lunch time at school during the summer months. When I sit at the back of the classroom by the window, and the breeze blows through the curtains and cools me off as I lay my head down while I take a nap. I let the distant sound of students yelling happily as they leave to have lunch outside with their friends, sooth me to sleep—

"Y/N!!!"

I jolt awake, lifting my desk and seeing Chang-min and Sasha push open the door to my homeroom, with lunchboxes in hand. "We're going outside to eat! Let's go!!!"

I groan. "I'm trying to sleep—"

"GET UP! YOU NEED VITAMIN D!!" Before I know it, they're dragging me out of my seat.

~

Annoyed, I sip my yogurt milk with Chang-min and Sarah on the soccer field, watching our classmates play various games and eat at the picnic tables. "I just wanted to nap." I mumble, slurping the last drops of my drink.

"You get enough sleep as it is!" Sasha hissed at me, making me jerk back. I pout as I drink from my straw.

"Oi, y/n!"

I look over to see one of the garden club members, Layla, wave at me to come over. I take a final sip of my milk and stand up, prancing over to her. "Hey, what's up?"

"Do you think you could water these flowers while I grab some more soil from the greenhouse? They need a lot of it since it's so hot, and the other members are busy tending to the other plants." She asks me
kindly, handing me a hose.

"Sure, I don't mind." I smile, taking the hose and turning it on the the lowest setting to water the flowers.

"Thank you! I'll be right back!" She jogs off, disappearing around the corner of the school.

I focus on quenching the thirst of the plants Layla trusted me to water, when I hear a group of guys approach me. Based on their stupid laughter, I already know who they are.

I slowly turn around and glare at them, Yang Jungwon standing in the middle. I continue to hose the flowers, but my attention is to him.

"Ah, good afternoon Train Tracks." One of his friends, Minho, jests at me with his hands in his pockets.

"You water plants now, BraceFace?" The other one, David, teased me.

I watch Jungwon's face drop while he looks at me. "You guys can't call her names." He says blankly.

My face softens and my brows raise. He starts to walk towards me, and I feel like everything is moving in slow motion. In this sudden moment, the wind blows dramatically and the sun shines on his smooth skin like he's the main love interest in a k-drama. Why does he have that look in his eyes? In his large, mesmerizing eyes, it looks like he might suddenly confess his love for me, and my whole body feels like jelly—

"Only I can call her names, like Metal Mouth—"

I suddenly aim the water hose at him, drenching him in water from head to toe.

Let's please forget that fantasy I was just having.

Jungwon stands still and accepts the water, while his cowardly friends jump back and hid from it. After a few moments, I turn the hose off and smile. "Oops...I think I hit the wrong button."

With his eyes closed, he scoffs with a grin, wiping his eyelids and opens them to glare down at me. He suddenly shakes his head from side to side like a wet dog, sprinkling water all over me. I gasp, and he laughs as he pushes his hair out of his face. "...Oops! Didn't mean to do that!"

I only force a grin. "I'm sure you didn't! Because there's an even more powerful setting on the hose and I'm not afraid to use it!" I say in a fake, enthusiastic voice.

~

Later that day for PE, I was stuck outside again playing  a game of dodgeball. I never liked the way my school played dodgeball—rather than teams it was everyman for himself.

On the dirt field, there was a long rectangle drawn in the ground with white chalk. Everyone had to stay inside of it, catching the ball when it was thrown at you and throwing it at people to get them out. If you're hit, you lose and must leave the rectangle. The only way Of ever survive is if I hid behind my classmates. Im way to terrified of getting hit in the mouth.

The game begins, and everyone starts to run. The ball is thrown from person to person, a few people getting hit in the arms, legs, and sides.

I run to hide behind Sasha, and she's panting heavy from running around so much. "What? Why are you using me as a shield!?"

"I don't wanna get hit, duh." I mumble, holding her shoulders and forcing her to stand still.

"YAH!!! Stop it!!" She snarls, grabbing my wrist and pulling me to be in front of her. "Catch the ball or something, don't be a coward."

"I'm not a coward. I simply don't want to die." I humph confidently, and she hits me in the back like an annoyed mother.

"Oo! Move out the way!"

"Oh no! Jun has the ball!!"

Sasha and I hear our classmates shriek and yell as the move away from us, clearing a path for us to see our friend Jun with the dodgeball in his hand. Jun is probably the strongest boy in our class—I mean, he is the president of the weightlifting club.

...Wait, he's the president of the weightlifting club.

Before I know it, I'm watching Jun punt the ball in my direction. It feels like the world stops, as I witness the ball spin at 10019233100 miles per hour to my face. I can hear Sasha yelling at me to duck or dodge, but my legs are frozen stiff. No way, it's going to hit me square in the mouth. My lip is gonna get busted, and my teeth will go crooked again. Then I really won't ever get a boyfriend—

Suddenly, I feel someone grab me by the shoulders and hold me into them, pushing me out of the way. We do a full 180 spin as we fall into the ground, so the person who saved me from getting my head blown off by a ball, is laying on their back and I'm laying on top of them. This would be a great time for me to cheer for joy and thank the person, but there is one problem...

My lips are occupied...

by their lips.

With our eyes open from absolute shock and despair, we somehow managed to fall to the ground and lock lips with each other. Not like "Oh our lips just grazed each other"—No. We're full on kissing...Yes...I'm kissing...

Yang Jungwon.