Chapter 3- Reunited On Deck

'Cause every time I ran
I ran to you
I meant it every time I said I loved you
I kiss the thought of you and I
I still regret the day that we said goodbye
And do you think of me at night?
- The Other Side • Tonight Alive

Whilst they were climbing up the side of the boat, James made sure that Edmund went first. He aided his brother, only a little, with a leg up.

"Caspian." The black haired boy called out, and the Prince, or now, King turned to face him. He had a bright smile at the sight of his friend.

"Edmund." He gave the Pevensie boy a towel, never once letting the siblings out of his sight.

"It's great to see you." Grinned Edmund.

"Good to see you." Replied Caspian.

Then, the sound of wet shoes hitting the deck rang through the air. James had pushed himself over the boats side, landing on his feet, but still soaked through. His trek up had been made even more difficult as his leather book was still in hand. Now, it may be ruined, but at least he would be able to cherish the memories he had left between the pages.

Looking to his soaked clothes, James scrunched his nose in disgust. His chest could be seen through the cheep cotton, and it made him uncomfortable. He wasn't sure that anyone had seen him without a shirt on since he was a child: this was just as bad.

Then, he looked up. There had been a colony of rampaging beasts inside of his stomach, tearing through his body. It was a combination of nerves, and longing, but anticipation had killed him. For two years he had waited for the moment to see Caspian again, and now, he was frozen.

In front of him, a tall man. The same man he was used to, one with olive skin and dark eyes. Black hair that cut off at the neck, and a general beauty that James had longed for.

He looked older.

It was odd to see. There was stubble that had grown over his jaw, and his shoulders had broadened slightly. Where Caspian had been only slightly shorter than James before, he may have been taller now. However, James had grown too. Just as his own shirt was translucent due to the water, Caspian's was too. James had to avert his eyes from the man's chest; almost as if it were unholy to look. But he wanted to.

His breath caught as his eyes met Caspian's. A moment he had waited so long for.

James did not make the first move. He was unsure of what he was supposed to do. However, Caspian did step forwards. Though he said nothing, either. There was a moment where they were sort of close, but sort of not, eyes never leaving each other. Too much time had been wasted, hadn't it?

Politely, offering his hand to Caspian, James smiled. "Hello."

Caspian was curious to the Pevensie boy's actions, especially as it wasn't the time to be shaking hands. Nevertheless, he took it, but instead of doing the expected, he kissed James' knuckles softly. "Hello."

Flustered, the blonde was unsure of what to do. His hand snatched away, and immediately, James apologised. "I'm sorry." He trembled a little, both in shock, and due to the cold he was feeling. His hands never left his book, however. He couldn't let go of the book. "I can't believe I'm here."

"You really are." Smiled Caspian, softly, using the towel that had been around his own shoulders to warm James in some way. "Here." He said, softly.

"Thank you." Replied James in a similar sort of way. They shared a small smile, stepping side by side till they reached the place where Lucy and Edmund stood.