Chapter 25

Lucas:

I slam the car door shut and make my way inside my house.

The one neighbouring her's.

As I pass the threshold, a maid offers to take my coat. I don't think I've seen her around before so she must be new.

I politely decline her though.

Despite the less than joyous mood I'm currently in, my mother taught me to have manners. And I use them.

Most of the time.

I climb the stairs to the second floor and am about to take the other to the third when another maid comes from the direction of Lu's room.

"Good afternoon, sir."

Bowing my head in acknowledgment, I go to continue to my room when she speaks again.

"I don't mean to pry, sir....but I think you should go and check on your sister."

"And why is that?"

"She had her first day of school today and I don't think it went too well. She's very upset."

"Where is she?" I ask immediately.

"In her room."

Forgetting the nonexistent plans I had, I speed walk to my sister's bedroom.

As I enter, she is nowhere to be seen. But then I notice the pink material of her canopy bed has been let down to hide the little lump under the covers.

I step closer to her. Moving the sheer material aside and sit on the bed.

"Lu?"

She doesn't answer.

"What's wrong?"

Still nothing.

I try to remove the duvet but she holds tight, keeping it over her small frame.

Sighing heavily, I try for a new tactic.

"Fine. I guess she's not here."

I stand up but don't make a move to leave.

"I'm sure she won't mind if I wait here for her though."

The corners of my lips turn up as I go to sit again. This time on top of her.

Right away, she lets out a scream. Shouting and laughing at me, trying to push me off.

"I can't breathe! Get off! Lu!"

Yes. We both call each other Lu.

"Oh, what was that? I thought you weren't here?"

"I'm here, I'm here! Now move away!"

Chuckling, I move off and sit back where I previously was. Now looking at her face, the blanket now removed from her head.

My smile disappears though, when I see her tear stained cheeks and puffy eyes.

"What's wrong, Lu?"

Her smile vanishes too and she ducks her head into the pillow.

"I don't wanna go back to school."

"Why?"

"Because I don't like it there."

"Why?"

"Because lots of people were there and they all started talking to me and touching me."

"Oh."

"It was so loud and when I ran away no one talked to me after."

"Did you want them to?"