Chapter 2

As he looked across the room Arthur saw about half a dozen heads styled in ribbons and fashionable coiffures. He hated Ryland for dragging him into the evening tea room where he knew his mother would be hosting her guests. But he knew very well Ryland could not be kept from company of charming young ladies. Perhaps he wasn't a good choice to have as a partner in this little battle against his mother. Maybe he should have chosen someone else who was less prone to beauty or female sex in general.

"Oh Arthur!, how wonderful of you to join us." Gleamed his mother. "I was just telling all the young ladies how we shall all attend spring balls before the season starts."

" I do not know about him, lady Bradford, but I shall be delighted to accompany you." Said Ryland

"Oh! of course my dear, with so many pretty ladies we will be in want of dancing partners. You must join us and drag Arthur with you for the same purpose" she said

"By your command, I shall my lady. Even if it requires abducting him to do so." Now Ryland was simply having fun at his expense.

"I am afraid to disappoint you both. But with father being ill I must devote myself to estate management in his place. Besides, he would want someone present at the manor if he needs anything." He tried to reason with them knowing full well it would be to no avail.

"We have more than enough servants for that my dear. And surely you shall be able to spare some nights on the occasion of having good company and enjoying some lively music" said lady Janssen, his conceited aunt.

"Well, we can always hold a ball here if Marquess wouldn't mind. Then Arthur will have no excuse not to be present." He was surely going to murder Ryland for filling his mother's had with such preposterous idea. She was more than capable of formulating such ideas herself, there was no need for his aid.

"Oh! That is an excellent idea. I will speak to marquess when he feeling a little better for sure" said his mother.

"But where would people dance ?" Said Eloise Janssen, his cousin. "I do not believe there is enough space to hold a ball, perhaps only a small tea party."

"I believe there is plenty of room in the great hall. Certainly some furniture can be moved to different rooms to make space for dancing" said her mother, Lady Janssen.

"Perhaps, all of us should go to this hall and see it for ourselves." Inserted one of the blonde Briggsby lady. Eleanor was her name if he recalled.

"And we may have a chance to see rest of the estate as well. I must confess I find your home very charming. What great deal of affection and care you must invest in it." Said the older blonde sister. And so began the round of  meaningless flatteries, Arthur thought.

"Thank you for your kind compliment. I will be delighted to show my estate. Infact, if everyone prefers, we can all tour the estate" his mother looked at Ryland as if she was planning some mischief for which he might be her accomplice. "I can give matrons a tour beginning from the east end. While Arthur and Ryland can take all the ladies towards the west end. In the end we can all meet in the middle. After that we shall decide, to hold a ball or not."

"I believe there are too many ladies here for Arthur and Ryland to give a proper tour" Eloise interjected "I know the estate very well, I can take some of the ladies with me." Poor Eloise was trying to mitigate the situation.

"Excellent idea Eloise" said lady Janssen with pride. "You are the only one here who would know this estate, as a mistress of the house would. After-all you have Bradford blood in you unlike anyone else here." she had used every opportunity to champion Eloise as a match for him ever since she had turned seventeen. Her hints had always been subtle in nature, but with new competition in sight, they were becoming more and more obvious.