forty-five

I was shitting bricks

I couldn't sleep at all last night. My anxiety had set in early and if I was having a restless night then I knew for sure that Carson had a restless night.

I was so nervous for them.

For Carson, Dominic, Kyler, Abel, and Marcus this would be their last chance at winning the championships. Sure they had a whole career ahead of them in the NBA being in the top ten draft picks, but this was their last shot being on the team to get their win together.

Haze and Xander had two more years– that is unless the scouts saw otherwise and decided that they were fit for the draft before their last year of college.

Which could very well happen if they kept up the good work.

'' Ayanna eat.'' Jora slid the plate of food in front of me.

I wanted to throw up at the sight of it. I was too nervous to eat or even think about eating.

'' I can't.'' I stress, looking over at Lizzie who was shoveling food into her mouth so quickly that I was sure she was swallowing it in one go.

'' Unlike Lizzie I tend to barf food up when nervous instead of consuming it whole.''

Lizzie sucked in a breath, her fist closed as her cheeks turned red quickly. '' I can't help that I soothe my nerves with carbs, Ayanna! At least I'm not fixing my worries by buying everything cute that I see online."

Elizabeth was the stress eater and Rhegan was the stress shopper.

Turning my head, I found her with her phone in one hand and a fork in the other.

'' Whatcha doing, Rhe?" I inquired, managing to swallow down some eggs to satisfy my friends. She turned her head slightly, her lips pursed but her eyes gave her away.

She looked guilty before she even opened her mouth.

'' Oh, you know," She shut her phone off before shoveling more food into her mouth.'' I was just checking out the weather. Can't be drenched in sweat when our boys win their big game right?"

I exchanged looks with the girls as we all collectively nodded our heads. "Right.'' We responded, making it known that we didn't believe a word she just said.

Picking up my phone, I checked the time again for the thousandth time since waking up. Only a few more hours until we were sitting in the arena seats watching them play the last game of their college career. Watching them play their last game as teammates. And watching them play their last game before they went off to achieve their dreams.

I hadn't called or texted Carson since this morning, not wanting to disturb him while they got prepared for the game. After dinner with his parents last night, I was able to spend a little time with him before he had to retreat to his hotel room for their stupid ass curfew.