Before The Maze [ 9 ]

Later that night

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

THE GUARDS RELEASED their grips from her arms, hastily shoving her into the common room. She stumbled in still trying to process everything that had happened in the past day. It didn't take long for her to regain her balance. Once she did, she turned around to see that the door was still open-the guards still standing there. Not thinking much of it she shifted her attention to her friends who were waiting there with open arms. Newt, Minho, Sonya, Harriet, Ben, Fry, Nick, and others.

Evony rushed towards them, instantly being overwhelmed by all of the affection. All of the love between the group radiated off of each other as she welcomed the tight embrace with a gleeful grin. Cheeks and bodys pressed together, the group of kids smiles bounced off one another like an echo, creating a fuzzy feeling to erupt in her stomach.

Then just as fast as the splendid moment came, did it abruptly leave.

"What happened to you?" Minho interrogated as a befuddled expression crossed his face. He reached out to touch her arm where a repulsive black and blue mark was beginning to form, but she pulled away before any contact could be made.

She quickly thought of a lie. One that would be believable enough that at least most of them would buy it. "I ran into a doorway on the way back." She shrugged nonchalantly. While the others nodded, partly believing the girl's excuse, another voice rang out. This one filled with disgust and displeasure.

"You guys really believe that?" A boy about the age of 16 emerged from the shadows, making heads turn to get a look at who had spoken that questioning statement. "Now come on, we all know she went to see Thomas last night. Who's to say he didn't completely rail the living shit out of her, and just happened to end up giving her a few bruises in the process?"

Evony's face blushed red, while Newt took a step in front of her. "Aaron, she's fourteen years old."

Aaron huffed, his brown eyes growing wider by the second. "Whatever then, you all just go on believing your precious Evy. I'll be upstairs, packing, like we're supposed to do." Then he turned and strutted off back into the dark and up the staircase, the boards creaking under his every step.

The girls rushed to her, each putting a delicate hand on her shoulders. She responded by wrapping her arms around them, one around Sonya, and the other around Harriet. They squeezed together, "I'm sorry about Evy, he's a true asshole if Ive ever seen one." Sonya tried, following her remark with small smile.

She gently pushed the two off of her. Her hands curled at her sides, her nails digging into the palm of her hands. There was a fine line between her calm state and her breaking point, and Aaron had just about pushed it. Sure it didn't help that she had been dealing with Ratman all day, or the fact had gotten dropped on her face. Or even more so that she was forcefully separated from Thomas. But still, Aaron had no right to say something as insensitive as that.

"Can I go punch him?" A boy named Max asked in a threatening tone.

"Can I?" Minho responded flatly, his eyebrows raised. "Nevermind that, I'm going to go beat a bitch up right now. Whos with me?" Several kids' hands lifted as they volunteered to go fight the black haired boy for his intrusive comment.

Suddenly, out of the blue, two guards came and grabbed both Minho and Max vigorously by the biceps. "There will be no need for that," The guard, obviously a man after hearing the voice, spoke. "Subject A7 and subject A16 will you please come with me."

The both looked at each other before glancing back at the other men. "Uh how about no." They spoke in unison.

Max laughed, "I mean of course if you have chocolate and lemonade that would be a different story but-" He was cut off mid sentence by one of the guards jabbing a needle into him. The rest of the kids watched in horror as the blonde haired boy froze instantaneously and soon crumpled to the floor in a jello-like way. Shortly after, before she could even grasp what had just happened, the guard pulled out a second needle, and this time shot Minho instead. He too flopped onto the ground beside his friend in a matter of seconds.