29

Chapter 29 – Zhong Shan

When the Academy's Disciplinary Whip technique was exposed, many people realized its implication.

On the platform, Wang Zhen couldn't dodge fast enough, and had already received five whacks. He felt waves of intense pain pulsating through his body as if all his bones were shattering. Luo Mingchuan's attacks were too swift for him to even open his mouth. If this went on long enough, he would incur serious damage to his core. Wang Zhen clenched his teeth. He couldn't care less about his pride nor his sect's dignity; he just wanted to loudly admit defeat.    

Suddenly, his face turned white, covered in cold sweat.

He found himself... unable to speak!

With jumbled thoughts, he received another whack. His back was on fire. 

However, all the audience could see was Luo Mingchuan's strikes picking up speed. After-images of the scabbard wove together an immense net that completely entrapped his opponent into one spot.

Wang Zhen was dumbstruck. His eyes widened, yet he could not utter a single word. He was without a sword, and his core energy had already been completely drained in an attempt to defend against the incoming attacks. In his sorry state, his only option was to  dodge.

Luo Mingchuan had stopped using his core energy since with merely martial art skills, Wang Zhen couldn't escape from him.

Yin Biyue thought it was suspicious.

It was illogical for Wang Zhen to not surrender.

Quickly, he remembered. In order to maintain order lest the students started screeching or wailing while under the Academy Whip's punishment, there was a method to block airflow around the vocal cords. It was similar to the 'Forbidding Speech Order'.

However, this method had already been abolished three hundred years ago. No one ever used it since. If it wasn't for his studies of ancient books at the Academy library, which included the Academy's origins, he wouldn't have known about this type of disciplining method.

Moreover, Luo Mingchuan's disciplining method was stronger, harsher, and more sincere than those used to punish students.

The audience had no clue.

Apart from exclaiming how Luo Mingchuan's extensive knowledge was worthy of having studied at the Academy to even know this method, there were many who took note of Wang Zhen, "I can't believe he has such backbone. To be injured like this and he still doesn't admit defeat!"

The moment the words fell, a slightly older disciple from the same sect scolded, "What backbone? It's stupidity! It might feel good at the time, but if his spiritual veins and core are injured, how will he continue on the path to higher cultivation?! You all absolutely shouldn't imitate him!"

The others nodded their heads successively in agreement.

Luo Mingchuan, as Cang Ya's eldest shixiong, was recognized by many sects' disciples; all of whom had good impressions of him.

"That person should have surrendered earlier! He's not surrendering, so Luo shixiong has to keep hitting him. It must be really tiring!"

"Luo shixiong's so generous. He knows that his opponent can't fight anymore, so now, he doesn't even use his core energy."

Occasionally, one or two sentences would circulate to the ears of Bao Pu Zong. Aside from being furious, they also felt it was unbelievable.

The martial arena had a protection array, which prevented core energy from flowing out and injuring the audience. At the same time, an isolation array was employed to prevent any meddling from strong cultivators in the audience that might affect the fight on stage. Only the host, the QingLu Sword Sect, could control the arrays to avoid significant injuries or deaths if an unexpected situation arose.