Luisa: A Helping Hand

Another day meant more progress made. And more progress made meant Abuela was happy, and the town still liked her.

This was all Luisa knew. One little break could mean Luisa wasn't helping everyone in town as much as she should. That was her role in the family—the helper, the strong one, the unwavering source of assistance.

And the townsfolk knew this. As Luisa walked down the street, holding a large cart in her hands—the owner had lost it after it rolled down the road and out of sight—they called after her with favors they needed done as soon as Luisa was finished with her current chore.

"Luisa, could you help me move this rock?"

"Luisa, my donkey won't budge."

"Luisa, I need more stone blocks!"

"Luisa, do you need help?"

It took Luisa about five seconds before the last comment registered in her brain. She scanned around before identifying the speaker.

The speaker looked about 18, with (h/c) hair and (e/c) eyes. Their outfit was a pleasant shade of (f/c), which complimented their complexion nicely. They looked up at Luisa with a polite smile.

Luisa shook her head. "Thanks, but I don't. I'm okay." Quickly masking how much the question rattled her, she shouldered past the polite stranger with the cart.

Why would they think I need help? Luisa thought as she returned the lost cart to its owner, who barely paused to say thank you. I'm the strongest person around. I don't need help.

As she moved on to her next task, Luisa realized she knew who the stranger was. Their name was Y/n—and they were definitely an oddball. Even now, Luisa remembered that at her sister Mirabel's failed gift ceremony, they'd been drifting around the room, asking strange questions about everyone's gifts.

'Does it get tiring?" they'd asked Dolores. "Hearing everything 24/7?"

To tia Pepa, they'd remarked, "It can't be easy—having everyone know how you feel all the time." (Pepa had had to leave the room after that, as a sputtering cloud appeared over her head.)

And to tio Bruno, they'd said, "I'm sorry everyone thinks badly of you. I'm sure you're a good person behind all the rumors"—which had caused Bruno to stammer incoherently. Luisa was only twelve when that happened, but it stuck with her, for some reason.

Luisa shuddered. She didn't like how easily a stranger could see through everyone so well. If anyone ever found out that she was unhappy, they'd get upset that they couldn't ask for favors anymore. Luisa couldn't have that. She was the only thing protecting everybody from toppling like a house of cards—and she was just as fragile.

-----

The next morning, Y/n popped up next to Luisa again. "Good morning, Luisa," they piped. Their head barely cleared Luisa's shoulder, yet they began jogging alongside her as she marched along, hauling a couple donkeys. The work was smelly and itchy, but it kept everyone happy. "Would you like some help today?"

"I don't need it," Luisa replied, irritated now.

"I don't think you can't do it!" Y/n hastened to say, continuing to jog. "You're always working, so I just figured I should—"

"Thanks," Luisa interrupted them, "but I've got this handled. You don't need to busy yourself for me." No one else does, anyway, she silently added.