Camilo: Escape

Ever since the mountain separating the encanto from the rest of the world split, you found yourself visiting the stream nearly every day. It was a long hike to reach it, but it was worth it when you were there. The sight of the water, the yellow butterflies, and everything else made you feel like you were part of a different world, and it distracted you from your worries better than anything else.

One afternoon, as everyone in the village continued to help repair the Madrigal's home, you snuck away.

You knew it was rude—the Madrigals had done so much to help the village in the past, and now it was your turn to help. But you felt so stressed that day, and if you had to be around a large crowd any longer, you might just have a breakdown.

You finally reached the water, ready to be alone and relax, but to your surprise, someone was also there—a boy of about 15, skipping rocks.

You recognized him as the shapeshifting Madrigal, but for some reason, his name slipped your mind. As such, you didn't know whether to talk to him or walk away and pretend you were never there.

Any such plans were eliminated when you stepped on a twig, which snapped under your foot. You bit back a curse when the boy jumped and turned to face you.

He raised his eyebrows. "How long were you standing there?" he asked.

You shrugged. "I dunno. Not long." You folded your arms awkwardly. "I didn't know anyone else would be here."

He nodded. "Me neither. I only came over here because my family's driving me up the wall." He paused, thinking. "Well, also because I don't want to work."

"Fair," you snickered. "May I join you?"

"Sure." He skipped another rock as you approached and stood next to him.

"I'm sorry, I'm totally blanking on your name," you admitted.

He didn't look at you as he aimed his next rock. "It's Camilo."

You snorted. "Like chameleon?"

He grimaced. "I think my tio might have told my parents what my gift was going to be ahead of time," he explained, skipping the last rock. He seemed to get bored with his activity and plopped down on the grass, looking at you. "What's your name?"

Not wanting to just stand there, you sat next to him. "I'm Y/n."

He nodded, focusing intently on the water. You looked closer at him. His posture was slumped, and he looked tired.

"Are you okay?" you asked. "You look a little down."

He stirred, quickly smiling. "Of course I'm okay! Why wouldn't I be?" he said, too cheerfully to sound genuine.

You frowned. You didn't know this boy very well, so it would be weird to press him on this. At the same time, you wanted to make him feel better. After a moment of deliberation, you decided on the latter.

You looked upward at the trees. "My favorite thing when I come here," you started, "is to count how many butterflies I see."

"Really?" he glanced over at you. "I don't even see any right now."

"Wait, there's one there," you said, pointing near the other side of the water.

"I don't see it," Camilo said, squinting.

"It's right there," you insisted, still pointing at the butterfly.

"No, it's not."

"Yes, it is."

"No, it's not."

"Look where I'm pointing!"

His eyes widened when he spotted it. "Oh." He rubbed his eyes, looking embarrassed. "Well, now I feel stupid."

You chuckled. "Don't worry. It happens to the best of us."

"Which I clearly am," he joked, tossing his hair, causing you to snort into your hand.

His eyes scanned the area, before he noticed another one. "There's another!"

The two of you spent the next several minutes pointing out all the butterflies you could see. As you continued, you felt more at home that you had in ages. Camilo, for his part, looked less sad; his face was alight as he eagerly indicated towards the insects.

After what seemed like a couple minutes, there was a soft 'ahem' behind you. The two of you turned to see another one of the Madrigals.

"Dolores?" Camilo got to his feet. "What's up?"

Dolores looked part annoyed, part relieved to see her brother. "You've been gone for two hours," she informed him. "You had everyone worried."

You and Camilo exchanged a surprised glance. Two hours? How had time escaped so quickly?

Camilo ran a hand through his hair. "Sorry, Dolores. I lost track of time."

"Clearly," Dolores replied, looking at you with slight amusement. "Well, we should go back before Mamá floods the village." Dolores turned and headed back down the hill.

Camilo laughed. You stood up, feeling embarrassed. "Sorry to keep you," you told him.

"Nah," he waved away your apology. "That was the most fun I've had in a while," he said with a smile.

"Me too," you said, returning his smile. "We should hang out more often."

He held out a hand dramatically. "You need to swear."

"Shit," you said immediately, shaking his hand with an equally dramatic expression.

He giggled. "That's not what I meant, but I'll take it."

"Camilo!" Dolores' voice came from out of sight. Camilo dropped your hand and gave you another smile.

"Thanks for the escape," he said. "In case you couldn't tell, you made me feel better."

"Oh, I could tell," you assured him. "And, same."

Dolores reappeared, looking disgruntled. "Camilo, I am going to tell Abuela you were the one that broke her shovel if you don't hurry."

Camilo looked alarmed. "How did you even know about—never mind." He began jogging ahead of you, and you followed, grinning widely.

It looked as if you had a new friend.

Btw he's upset because his powers are gone