Dolores: I'm Here

She/her implied, but not used (I don't think)

Possible TW: Homophobia

I had to get out.

That's all that mattered—getting away. Away from the house that was no longer a home, and the people that were no longer my mother and father.

'Out! Get the hell out!'

I ran through the trees, the moon barely illuminating the dark night. The branches whipped across my cheeks, creating scratches on my tear-stained face, but I kept going.

'I can't believe I considered you a daughter!'

Finally, I tripped over something—a root? A rock? It didn't matter—and when I fell on my knees, I didn't stand again. My breath came in quick, choked sobs; my skin where the branches had cut me burned.

'Don't come back!'

I couldn't breathe. My own parents had just disowned me. For loving someone.

"Y/n?" a soft voice called. I stiffed—I hadn't expected anyone to be there.

I paused to mop my face up with my sleeve before turning around. I was horrified to see Dolores Madrigal staring at me, looking concerned. She must have heard everything.

"D-Dolores!" I stammered, my voice shaky from crying. "You shouldn't be here."

Her eyebrows were pulled tightly together. "I couldn't not come. I had to make sure you were okay."

I shrugged, laughing once without any humor. "I'm doing perfectly okay!" I said sarcastically, spreading my arms, but the action was diminished by the tears that flowed down my face without pause. I dropped the act, wilting in front of her. "I guess you heard what happened?"

She nodded, wringing her hands together. "I... I am so sorry." She looked around, as if wondering what to do. "I know I can't understand what you're going through..."

"No," I answered flatly. "You can't." A small part of me whispered not to be mean to her—I loved her, after all. But that was exactly what got me into this situation. "Look, maybe it's best if you forget what you heard."

Her large eyes grew even wider. "What? Why?" she whispered.

"Because!" I exclaimed. "I told my parents I love you. They didn't know I liked women—and they kicked me out." I angrily wiped a tear away. "If I didn't like you, none of this would have happened!"

Dolores swallowed, looking hurt. "Is that what you think?"

My lip trembled. Finally, I said, "I don't know."

She gazed at me for a longer moment before holding her arms out. I stared at her uncomprehendingly, before realizing what she wanted.

Somewhat reluctantly, I stepped forward several paces and let her hug me. She was a little taller than me, so I fit into her arms nicely. She smelled good—like cinnamon.

"You can stay in the casita," she said. "It can be your home."

I hugged her back, feeling a little better than I had before. "Thank you, but I can't put that burden on you."

She looked down reproachfully. "You are anything but a burden," she said, brushing my hair away from my face. "Don't you dare think anything otherwise."

I felt my face flush a little when she touched it, but I refused to melt. "Okay."

"Okay as in, you won't? Or okay as in, you'll live with us?" she asked.

I ducked my head shyly. "Are you sure your family won't mind?"

"Look, I have years' worth of information on them," she informed me. "If they don't want all their secrets spilled, they'll let you move in."

My eyes widened. I hadn't anticipated Dolores' dark streak. "Ah. Alright, then."

She grinned, taking my hand. "Okay." She began leading me back to her home, me gripping her hand nervously. While I'd dreamed about holding her hand countless times before, I never thought it would be like this.

We finally reached the doors of the casita, and Dolores turned to be before grabbing the doorknob. "I just want you to know that if you need anything, I'm here for you."

My heart sputtered. "Thank you."

With another soft smile, she opened the large door and led me inside.