Luisa: Exes

You'd broken up with Luisa nearly a year ago.

She'd been way too overbearing, always hovering over you and treating you like a child. 'Are you hurt? Did you trip? Be sure not to hurt yourself!' It was completely embarrassing.

When she wasn't doing that, she was away from you, working. That wasn't entirely her fault, but it still stung.

There were times you regretted your decision. You avoided her as much as possible after you broke up, but the few times you did see her, she was doing work for the village with a look of forced calm on her face. Once, you made eye contact, and her expression immediately hardened as she looked away from you.

"It's for the best," you used to remind yourself. "We weren't right for each other."

But now a year had passed, and you didn't believe your own words any more than you used to—which was not at all. The heartbroken look on her face when you'd ended things was almost enough for you to take back everything you said, but you didn't. You missed her so much, but you couldn't do anything about it.

You'd hurt her, and now you could suffer for it.

-

"Y/n, could you do some shopping for me?" your sibling asked, tapping your arm. You'd been sitting at the counter, staring listlessly into a now cold mug of coffee, but you looked up at their voice.

"Sure," you said automatically. "What is it?"

They handed you a shopping list. "It's mostly food."

You took the—rather long—list, quickly scanning it and nodding. "Okay. I'll be back soon." You stood up and walked to the door, exiting your house.

About half an hour later, you had your arms full of the items on your sibling's list. Why do they need so much food? You thought grumpily, beginning to slowly make your way back home. It's like I have a pig instead of a sibling.

You were so lost in thought, and so weighed down by the giant bag of groceries, that you didn't see the root in your path until you tripped over it and landed painfully on the ground.

"Pollas en vinagre," you hissed under your breath, sitting up to take in the torn bag and scattered food.

"Need some help?" asked a cautious voice.

You stiffened. Was that who you thought it was? And were you happy to see her?

Luisa took your stunned silence as a yes and kneeled down to pick up some of your dropped objects. "That fall looked painful," she said with a carefully casual tone. "You okay?"

You nodded, taking in her face like you'd never seen it before. How could you have forgotten how beautiful she was? The way her chestnut curls fell away from her ribbon, her deep brown eyes, her muscles—you nearly got dizzy just looking at her. "I'm fine," you whispered. "Thanks," you added as she held out her arm to help you up.

You dusted yourself off. "Um...how are you?"

She shrugged, arranging the objects onto one of her arms to hold them easier. "I'm fine."

"Me too, I'm fine," you said quickly. "Well...sort of."

"Sort of?" she raised an eyebrow, and you wondered if she was merely pretending to be indifferent, or if she was freaking out as much as you were.

You rubbed he back of your neck. "I mean, I missed you."

She glanced away, but you could have sworn you saw a hint of pink on her cheeks. Or was that just you being overly hopeful?

She cleared her throat. "I...I missed you, too."

You paused, gathering your resolve, before you and Luisa said "I'm sorry" in unison.

"Wait—" you held up your hands. "What? Why are you sorry?"

She stared at you with equal confusion. "Why are you sorry?"

"Because of how I ended it!" you exclaimed.

"You ended it because of me!" she yelled back before catching herself. "Um...sorry."

"No," you said, shaking your head slowly. "It was my fault. You were just...trying to be a good girlfriend."

"I wasn't," she said bluntly. "I made you feel weak."

You shook your head again, more insistent. "There isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret breaking up with you, Luisa."

She blinked. "Huh?"

You fumbled with your hands. "I wish I hadn't. I went a year without seeing you or talking to you, and it was horrible. It gave me time to reflect on the fact that you were just trying to help and I was being...well, an ass."

She didn't seem to know what to say, so you quietly finished with, "I still love you, Luisa, and I'm so, so sorry."

You looked back up at her. She looked like she were holding back tears.

"I'll take those," you said faintly, pointing to the groceries in her arms, but she just continued to stare at you in disbelief. "Luisa?"

She held out her free hand, and you looked at it for a moment before uncertainly grabbing hold of it. She wrapped her fingers around yours carefully, giving them a small squeeze.

You looked back up at her with wide eyes, and she shrugged, a small smile appearing on her lips. "I still love you, too."

You grinned at her. "Oh. Okay."

She hefted the groceries in her arm, going fully red in the face now. "Let's get these back to your place."

You nodded eagerly, and as the two of you headed back, it took all of your willpower not to skip.

You may have messed up, but now was your chance to make things right.

YOU GUYS I'M IN LOVE WITH HER