Chapter 14: A Failed Attempt at Jealousy

All three of them stared at each other in shock, before two out of the three girls burst into fits of laughter, the argument long forgotten. Thyra's upper lip twitched, which Seraphina had come to realize, was her version of a smile.

Hyacinth was the first one to recover. ''We cannot talk now. We need to get to combat class.'' She grabbed each of their hands and pulled them around the corner stairs leading to the courtyard.

''Yes, about that,'' Seraphina began and glanced at Thyra, ''your crush is not teaching the class today, he has been sent out by Ms. Greeves on a mission.''

''Again?! Why does she keep on- wait, what did you just say?'' Thyra's head whipped around to face the other girl, her long curls bouncing in the process.

Seraphina simply shrugged at her and smirked. ''It is what it is.''

''Why, you!'' Thyra screamed as she tried to hit Seraphina but Hyacinth's presence in the middle made it difficult for her.

''Sorry, but I had too,'' Seraphina chuckled.

''Tell me why we thought it was a good idea to come up and apologize?''

Before Hyacinth could reply, Seraphina answered. ''If it's any consolation, I was coming to do the same.''

''Really?'' both the girls looked equally surprised.

''Hmm, I wouldn't have thought,'' Hyacinth mused.

''Believe it or not, it's the truth,'' Seraphina said. ''That, and there's something else too,'' she whispered.

''A secret?'' Thyra asked as her eyes sparkled with interest.

''I believe it is.''

''Then we shall discuss it later,'' Hyacinth announced. ''We're almost there.''

''Ugh, so bossy,'' Thyra rolled her eyes.

''Tell me about it,'' Seraphina agreed.

''So now you're friends again?'' Hyacinth's eyebrow quirked and she looked between the two girls.

''Pretty much,'' Thyra said.

''I don't think we ever stopped being friends.'' Seraphina added. ''Although, I am truly sorry for everything.''

''I'm sorry too,'' Thyra said softly, ''I should not have said all those things about your mother.''

The two girls smiled at each other and reconciled, after which they all walked up to where the rest of the students were gathered. Shortly after their arrival, Ms. Greeves showed up, surprising everyone except Seraphina, and the class began.

''Of all the people here at the academy, I did not expect the principal to teach us how to fight,'' Thyra grumbled as she paired up with Hyacinth this time.

''Why, do you think she cannot fight?'' Seraphina asked as she attempted to block Caspian's attacks.

''Well, you know,'' the green eyed girl shrugged.

''Oh yes, I do,'' Seraphina smirked before she was tackled. She fell to the rough ground with a thud followed by Caspian tripping on his feet and falling on top of her. ''Ooof,'' she groaned in pain as she bore the brunt of it all.

''I am so sorry, Seraphina,'' Caspian said, his hot breath fanning her face. ''I thought you would stop me or at least get out of the way.''

He tried to push himself up but his hands slipped and his face landed smack onto Seraphina's right shoulder as she craned her neck away from it.

''Oh gods, that hurt,'' she groaned out and tried to push the boy off her but he was heavier than he looked. ''Seriously, Caspian,'' she grunted, ''get off me.''