Chapter 33: Leandre

My thoughts race as I reign down hits on the heavy weight bag in the corner. Hit after hit follows question after question in my head. How could I have not been there? How did all of our careful planning go so wrong? Will Forrest ever be able to forgive himself if we can't find her? What if that is all the time we had with her and I spent the whole time terrified to complete the mating. I snort as, honestly, that would serve a coward like me right. Ever since we got back from Montana I've been avoiding her due to the sheer lack of strength I have to guard against her pull. I've had a hard time feeding since she popped into our lives, it's gotten to the point where any bagged blood smells like decay next to her wonderful scent. I haven't fed in weeks and it's starting to get to me as usually I feed at least once a week.

       As time went on and I continued to not be able to feed like I usually would, the draw to Raven just became more pronounced. It was to the point where I was salivating when I entered a room she had even just been in. Standing next to her? Pure, sweet, agony. If I was the man stranded in the desert then she was the oasis. I know that had I asked to feed from her she would have said yes in a second but I didn't think I could trust myself to not take too much and do something neither I or my brothers would ever forgive me for. 

      Now though? Now I'm just pissed I let my fear control me. Especially after I had come home from my clinic shift and seen the happiness and joy emanating from Kieran. When he told me what had happened and how he had overcome his fears and been rewarded with a mating mark, I was overjoyed for him. We spent time looking at his mark and throwing around different ideas of what mine, or hers, might be. It was in that moment I decided that his situation and mine were similar in many ways. We both held back for fear of hurting Raven and we both pushed off planning a date because of that same fear. We have both wanted her since the second she popped into being, burning with magic and righteous rage but neither of us could trust ourselves. Well, until now. Which doesn't help me much.

       I had just made the decision to go for it and complete the mating upon Raven's return when Emerson, Huginn, and Muninn came stampeding through from the balcony. We immediately knew something was wrong so everyone grabbed weapons and we made it to Maverick's place in record time. Just as we were stepping out of the car though, we heard a tearing noise followed by the roar of a panther and a pained shout. 

       By the time we made it to where we knew Forrest had set everything up Drazik's panther was nervously pacing and Forrest could barely stand. He told us what happened while leaning up against the bed, his voice scratchy with the guilt I knew he was putting on himself. I think back to that moment that was only two days ago but feels like a lifetime ago.

      "There's nothing you could have done. Maverick betrayed us and that's on him." I say to Forrest as I try to get through to both him and Drazik, who is still in his panther form. 

       It was Emerson who stepped in then, ever the cool and collected elf, "Blackout Protocol is in effect. I think the first order of business should be to find Maverick." His fists tighten, "I say we also track down and detain some counsel members." 

       Forrest straightens then, "Does anyone give a fuck about the legality of that action at this point?" When no one objects he nods, "Let's get to safe house delta since the first three are known by at least one person outside of our group and I don't trust anyone right now. It's also the most heavily warded. We can't risk stopping by our apartment but with a blackout protocol in effect our men know to lock it down and not let anyone in." He looks to Emerson and nods thankfully, as do the rest of us. We all needed something to focus our energy and he just gave it to us.

      "Well I brought this little bastard with us." Kieran says as he reaches into one of his inside jacket pockets and pulls Luna out before gently cupping her to his chest.