xi. missing freddy

ELEVEN                         missing Freddy

ALICE SNEEZED again as she brought her handkerchief to her nose and rubbed it softly. Thomas stood beside her while holding her waist with a cigarette in his mouth. They slowly put the casket into the earth and began to put back the dirt over it.

She glanced around the family completely spacing off and ignoring Thomas's speech about Freddy Thorne and how much the man would be missed by them all.

She silently scoffed knowing Tommy used to despise him after the war, Ada was sniffing as small salty tears dropped down her porcelain cheek.

As Tommy wrapped up the heartwarming speech the wound of Esme's and johns baby beginning to cry snapped Alice out of her daze as she stared down at the casket shamelessly while everyone else could only cry silently or look at the sky with sorrow faces.

" I'm going to go speak to Ada, alright Alice. " Tommy said as his hold on her waist loosened and he kissed her forehead before going over to walk by Ada away from the funeral and somewhere a bit more private.

" we thought now Freddy's gone, you might come back to Birmingham. "

Ada chuckled coldly as she glanced back at everyone surrounding Freddie and talking to one another. " god, do you know how funny it is that you've got chauffeurs in uniform? "

" just for the occasion, Ada. "

" just for the occasion? Or did Alice want to flaunt of her money once again proving she's better then us even though it's been two years. "

" so now that makes you ashamed of us. " he said as he took a drag from his cigarette. " when I think how I used to be, it makes me embarrassed. " she said as she remembered her younger and foolish self.

" Karl's with his cousins. " joined Polly as she had a small welcoming smile while Alice lingered behind her with a curious look as she as well took a drag from her cigarette while eyeing Thomas.

" I caught them trying to pinch flowers off a grave. " she joked quietly.

" quite rebellious, just like you Ada. " said Alice with a smirk lingering across her lips as she neared Thomas, her back facing his chest as the three stared at the Shelby girl.

" Ada, " Polly dismissed Alice and her comment as she went closer to ada and holding her hands " are you coming home? " she questioned with hopeful eyes but Alice only hoped Ada would stay in London.

" I'm going home. " she said as she stared at her aunt with sad eyes.

" it's alright, poll, Alice. We make Ada
embarrassed. " and Alice scoffed at what Tommy said as she stared at Ada.

" that's not what I said. "

" be grateful that I even brought chauffeurs and some caterers for this funeral. Haven't even seen you shed one tear. " Alice hissed.

Ada and Polly glared at Alice who scoffed once again and took one last drag from her cigarette and throwing it on the ground before stomping on it and pecking Thomas's cheek.

" I'll see you back in the car. "

And with that Alice left with one angry Shelby women and gray and an amused Shelby man who took another drag from his cigarette as he shrugged mindlessly and left his aunt and sister to talk.

As he walked to there car a boy in a bike came to Arthur whispering something to his ear before Arthur went and rushed over to his brother with anger lacing his face.

Alice as eyes widened as everyone immediately went back to the cars and drove back to Birmingham, " Thomas what's going on? " asked Alice as Thomas went extremely fast scaring Alice in case something could happen to the car and endanger them.

" Tommy? What's going on! " she asked once again as he stayed silent while his hands gripped on the wheel, the car then stopped as Polly Arthur and Thomas got out of the car and Alice gasped when she saw that the garrison has been blown up to pieces as ash and dirt covered it with the glasses all Shattered.

A police officer stood in front of the garrison as he eyed the Shelby's that made there way to him for answers.

" nobody saw anything. Our patrols were not in the area. " he stuttered a bit as he eyed the garrison then Thomas with curiosity.

" Mr. Shelby, do you have any idea who might have done it. "

" I would say it was something to do with gas. " as he had a calm look on his face. Polly then slowly stepped inside the broken down pub and leaned down to get something as the officer tried to stop her, not by actions but by words.

" madam, i-its not safe in there. "

Polly stood straight back up holding something that shined a bit in the fire that glazed everywhere, Alice saw it, it was a green confetti. Her eyebrows furrowed as she slowly got out of the car and holds her small baby bump.

She slowly made there way to them as her small feet could with being 4 months pregnant. " this is all over the place. " Polly said while looking at the confetti, seeing if there were any clues whatsoever.

" confetti. " She confirmed as she handed it over to Thomas who played with it in his fingers as he glanced at Alice who was behind him with a curious look.

Thomas dismissed the officer as Polly eyed her nephew knowing he might have a lead, " who? " she questioned as she stood beside him while they stared at the pub they have known to be almost as a second home.

" who did this to us? " she questioned once again to herself before going to head back home leaving Alice and Tommy alone.

" Tommy, love. What's going on? "

He only stayed silent as his wife held his hand and pulled him away from the garrison and what ever was left and back to the car as she told the chauffeur to drive them back home.

CRUELFOOLS