Prologue

Son Areum and Lee Suhyeok have been childhood best friends since they were ten years old. Eight years ago, ten-years old Areum and her mother, Son Yeri, were recently moved from Seoul to Hyosan to live with Areum's grandparents. One of the reasons the mother and daughter were moved to Hyosan eight years ago was that Areum's mother was being transferred to their hometown hospital, Hyosan hospital. When the director of the hospital where Son Yeri's work asked for her decision, she gladly accepted the transfer as she could work at her hometown and she would not worry about her daughter, Areum, being alone at the house when she was busy working at the hospital. Moreover, Areum's grandparents were delighted when they heard the news about them moving to Hyosan as the grandparents rarely spend time with their daughter and granddaughter due to the different location.

On the day they officially moved to Hyosan, Areum's mother and grandfather were busy carrying the boxes and workers busily carried their furniture in the apartment. Areum was happily munching the pear that her grandmother peeled while curiously watching them work.

"Areum-ah, are you happy to live here with halmoni and haraboji?" Areum's grandmother asked while peeling more pear for her granddaughter. Instantly, Areum happily nodded her head with the pear that she was eating using the small fork on her right hand.

"Yes! I'm really happy to live with you, haraboji and omma." little Areum exclaimed as she continued munching her pear. Her grandmother was smiling as she lovingly watched her granddaughter adorably eating her fruit. Areum's mother was unknowingly watching their interaction as Areum's grandfather gave some instruction to the workers on where to put the furniture in the room. Leaving her father doing the job, Yeri walked her way toward her mother and daughter and mentioned to her mom that she should take Areum around the neighborhood while they finished arranging the boxes and furniture in the apartment. Areum's grandmother agreed with Yeri's suggestion and Areum along with her grandmother went around the neighborhood after they finished eating the pear.

***********

Outside the apartment building, Areum held her grandmother's right hand as they walked around the neighborhood while they happily conversed with each other about small things. They stopped their walk for a moment when her grandmother's friends spotted them and chatted with her grandmother. Being a good child in her family, Areum patiently waited beside her grandmother as they chatted and started to observe her surroundings until she spotted a few kids around her age playing at the playground near their apartment building.

"Oh my. Is this your grandchild that you always talk about, Kyunghwa?" little Areum heard her grandmother's friend ask.

"Yes. This is my granddaughter. Areum, say hello, dear." Areum's grandmother, Kyunghwa, said as she smiled down at her young granddaughter beside her.

"Hello. My name is Son Areum. Nice to meet you." Areum beamed as she bowed down to show respect to her grandmother's friend.

"Hello, dear. I'm your grandmother's friend. You can call me Youngsook halmoni. You want to play there?" Youngsook halmoni pointed toward the playground as she had noticed how the young girl constantly looked at the playground when she was talking to Kyunghwa. Areum shly nodded her head as she stood beside her grandmother as she was still holding her grandmother's hand.

"You can play there, dear. My grandson is also there. Perhaps, you can play with him?" Youngsookhalmoni smiled at the shy girl.

"Can I play there, halmoni?" Areum asked permission as she looked at her grandmother. Kyunghwa halmoni nodded her head and chuckled lightly when she saw her granddaughter brightly beaming at her.

"I'll be here with Youngsook halmoni. You can play, dear." Kyunghwa halmoni stated. As soon as she heard her grandmother, Areum excitedly ran toward the playground, eager to play.