You Like?

"Iris."

"Piss off, Fabian."

"Come on, can we talk?" Her brother whined as he followed her out the breakfast room. It had been a tense breakfast. Everyone had conversed but there was a certain snappiness about them all. Mara and Mick talked between themselves, and the rest of the table held polite conversation until Amber and Alfie started arguing about some 'promise' made last year.

She spun around to face his sulking face suddenly, taking him off-guard, "What do wanna talk about?"

There was an awkward pause then he spoke, "I don't know why, but I get the weird feeling that you're mad at me."

A scoff emanated from her throat with an added force, "Wow, and you're the smart sibling?"

"Iris, don't be like that please, " he pleaded, his voice softer now.

"Nah, Fabes. When you stop acting weird with that American and them other ones, then maybe. But sneaking off to the attic without half of your housemates and then acting weird as shit? It's not right, you get me?" Iris huffed, leaning her back against the banister as she watched her brother's shoulders slump.

"It wasn't like that," he started but she cut him off.

"I know I haven't seen you in a couple years but to me? This seems cliquey as shit, and you deserved to get caught yesterday," she spat, standing up from her spot against the stair's pillar. Her brother had never been mean, but he could be stupid sometimes, "Mara, Mick and Joy? Not so much."

Fabian's dark eyebrows knitted together as he processed his sisters words, reflecting for a couple of seconds, "Yeah you're right, okay? 

"Yeah, no shit. And now all of you, have to clean fucking toilet bowls. So, nothing I say really makes a difference."

"Yeah, alright Iris. I get it," her brother snapped lightly forcing her to narrow her eyes. They stood in the quiet once more, each waiting for the other to crack first, "Where did you go anyway?"

"What?" Iris said, looking up from an inspection of her nails.

"Where did you go? One moment you were in the attic and then you just weren't there. And now that I think about it, neither was Jerome."

Iris felt her cheeks flush lightly at the thought of last nights antics.
She had been so close to him. Up against her door, as they'd hid from the severe housemaster. His cool breath had fanned across her face, still minty-fresh from brushing his teeth and when he'd laughed she had felt the vibrato of his voice through his chest against her own. She had studied face as he listened out for victor; his sharp features sloped along the ivory expanse of his skin, speckled with delicate moles that she felt she could trace with her fingertips. His lips carved into a perpetual smirk as mirth danced in the cerulean of his eyes.
Her palms had never been clammier than they had been yesterday as the adrenaline coursed through her.

"Iris?"

"Huh? Oh yeah. Uh- I saw one of those eight-legged freaks and I had to dip. Plus, I'm pretty sure I am allergic to dust, so the attic is a no-go zone pour moi," she said, letting out a nervous laugh as she went, her brother's suspicious gaze making her feel inexplicably unnerved, "I have no idea where Jerome went. Smart move on his part though."

Fabian's gaze didn't waver from her own as she shakily attempted to explain herself.
"Hm, you sure?"

"Yes, Fabian. Why would I lie?" Why was she lying right now?

"Okay, I was just checking," he chuckled, a small smile pulling at his lips as he held his arms up in a false surrender, "No but really. Jerome's not a nice guy, Iris. Just like try and avoid him. He can be ..."