Relax, Or Else

Pronouns: She/they

If anyone were to enter your room without permission, they might lose their kneecap privileges indefinitely.

Except your girlfriend, of course.

So when Luisa opened your door without an announcement, you merely looked up from the book you were reading as you reclined on your bed. "Hey," she said.

You were initially excited to see her, but your face fell when you noticed what was wrong.

She seemed to be barely holding herself together. Her eyes were wide, but she looked exhausted. Her jaw was clenched, her posture was tight—she looked miserable.

"Luisa?" you stood up and sped over to her, putting your hands on her arm. "What is it?"

"I'm just tired," she said in a beaten-down sort of voice. There was a small spatter of dirt along her jawline. "It's been a long day."

"Come sit down," you said urgently, and the two of you sat on your bed. She didn't relax. She looked like she'd drunk four cups of coffee without any sleep. "Didn't you take a break?"

"I couldn't," she said. "There wasn't time."

Your eyebrows crept toward your hairline. "What exactly did you do today, Luisa?"

"A lot," she admitted. "Tilting houses, moving wagons, lifting buildings—"

"Buildings?" you repeated, horrified. "Why would you—"

"It's no big deal, I do it all the time."

You threw your hands up. "Well, by that logic, I could get stabbed in the gut every day and be totally fine!"

"You'd bleed out," Luisa protested. "That's not the same thing. I was made for the work I do."

"Nuh-uh." You put your hand over her mouth, glaring at her. "As your girlfriend, partner, and friend, I'm telling you right now that no human being should work as hard as you do. It's self-destructive and I can't stand to watch you do it to yourself. So you'd better relax right now."

You took your hand away, crossing your arms, and she raised an eyebrow. "Um...okay?"

"Come here." You couldn't physically move her, but you scooted closer to her and hugged her around the middle. "You're amazing, you know that?"

She chuckled a little, hugging you carefully around your shoulders. "You are, too. I love you."

You reached up to wipe away the dirt on her jaw. "Estoy enamorada de Ti."

She leaned into your hand a little, and her posture finally relaxed. "What would I do without you?"

"Too much, probably," you said softly, gently wiping her face with your thumb. "If I need to follow you around to make sure you don't push yourself, so be it."

"You don't have t—" she began.

"So help me Luisa, I will," you hissed. "You fell in love with me and now it's time to pay the price."

She grinned nervously. "Are you threatening me into taking a break?"

"Yes, yes I am," you confirmed. "Now, what do you want to talk about?"

She paused thoughtfully. "I want to hear about your day," she said.

You moved your hand down to hold hers, groaning a little as you prepared to tell your story. "Well, you know Mateo's brother? You'll never believe what he did today..."