Oblivious

Pronouns: They/them

Tw: Cursing in the a/n at the end

When you're friends with someone so completely different from you, one might wonder how you make the friendship work.

Y/n always looked on the bright side of life, despite being a little behind in the strength department. Their positivity was so strong that anyone in their presence couldn't help but feel happy too, or at least relax a little.

Whereas Luisa was physically strong, but stressed out easily. A single thing could go wrong and she'd stay up all night worrying about it. She didn't really talk to anyone unless it was to agree to help them.

And yet the two of them had been best friends since before they could talk. If you were to see Luisa out working, there was a 9/10 chance you would see Y/n right by their side, all smiles and jogging to keep up with Luisa's long, quick stride. They always had a look of glowing admiration on their face when they looked up at Luisa, at it was clear to anyone how much they loved her.

They would talk a lot while they were with her, seeming to tell exciting stories, complete with hand movements and dramatic facial expressions, making Luisa crack a small smile to break her intense look of concentration. It was a funny sight, this short person alongside Luisa's enormous, muscular frame.

When Y/n wasn't with Luisa, they were with Dolores, where they could have more quiet conversation.

Dolores was amazed at how utterly oblivious Luisa was to Y/n's feelings—literally everyone in town knew, so why didn't Luisa see it? Dolores was no expert on romance, but this was ridiculous even to her.

She didn't say anything about it, though. If romance were to happen between them, it should happen on its own, not through meddling. But it wasn't easy when she was on both sides of it—Y/n gushing about Luisa when they and Dolores were alone, Luisa always referring to Y/n as her "friend".

Dolores just hoped that Y/n would admit to Luisa that they were in love with her.

Y/n

You'd accompanied Luisa on her daily chores again. It was your favorite part of the day because you got to spend time with your favorite person. You often tried to help her whenever the opportunity presented itself, but you could never do so much as lift a rock that was bigger than your head.

You tried anyway, attempting to pick up a barrel, but you stumbled and nearly fell over with a yelp.

"Careful!" Luisa said, catching you and lifting the barrel with one arm. "You could hurt yourself." She gently brushed off your shirt and smiled, straightening up with the barrel over her shoulder.

You smiled sheepishly. "I wanted to help."

"Thanks, but I've got this," she assured you with a small laugh, ruffling your hair.

You chucked and halfheartedly pushed her hand away, saying, "Fine."

Luisa

She smiled softly for a longer moment, looking down at their beaming face. She met their eyes, and something about them made her have to look away before shaking herself and speed-walking down the street, continuing what she had been doing.

That was weird, she thought, pressing her lips tightly together.

"Luisa, wait up!" they called good-naturedly, jogging after her. She slowed her pace, but didn't look at them again for fear of that strange feeling coming over her again.