4

The Zhenbei Marquis did what he said. From that day on, Madam Ru's privileges were withdrawn one by one. The other concubines vaguely heard rumors and didn't dare to bother Shen Yu.

In his last few days at the marquis' residence, Shen Yu had no complaints.

The only surprise came three days before he was supposed to enter the harem. The palace issued a decree to seal Shen Yu as a noble monarch, something which had no parallel in his previous life.

Shen Yu calmly accepted the decree along with various stares filled with delight, envy, jealousy, and resentment. The eunuch who came to announce it deliberately flattered him and said a lot of complimentary things.

"The lord marquis has raised such a good son. More blessings are still to come."

Male-male love was common in Da Huan, and there was an existing system of titles for men who entered the imperial harem. Below the empress, the highest rank was noble monarch. In the eyes of the public, the eldest di son of the Zhenbei Marquis' family had ascended to the heavens in a single step.

The Zhenbei Marquis' face wore a proud smile, but there wasn't a trace of laughter in his heart. If only he'd known before the incident with Madam Ru that his eldest son would receive such an honor. He didn't know how joyful he would have been—but now he was mostly anxious.

Shen Yu's attitude was simply too hard to predict.

Along with the imperial edict, the palace sent all kinds of rewards. As there was no proper wife in charge of the Zhenbei Marquis' residence, everything was directed to Shen Yu's courtyard.

When Shen Yu returned after receiving the decree, he looked at the pile of large and small boxes in the courtyard and fell speechless.

A young eunuch came over with the list. "His Majesty said everything here should be handed over to Young Master Shen."

Shen Yu opened a box and saw an enormous pearl nestled inside. He paused, then opened several other boxes. Without exception they were filled with exotic treasures. As he scanned the list provided by the eunuch, Shen Yu didn't have the slightest trace of a smile in his eyes.

Who would have thought that the young emperor who would be reviled and scorned by his people for □□ in the future was such a wealthy lord.

Shen Yu didn't look at the rest of the boxes. He ordered his servants to move everything to the small warehouse and tried to remember. Had Shen QingRan received the same rewards in his previous life?

Whether it was in his previous life or the book he read after his death, Shen Yu had no memories of such a thing happening. Shen QingRan entered the palace without the title of noble monarch or additional gifts. But Shen Yu didn't think the man sitting on the throne was moved just because Shen Yu was the eldest di son of the Zhenbei Marquis.

"Young master, it seems His Majesty is very fond of you." Mu Xi felt a little satisfied as she helped her frail and sickly master out of his cloak.

Around them, Shen Yu's attendants came and went. Mu Xi was one of the few remaining original servants. She knew the many wrongs her young master had suffered in the marquis' residence just because he occupied the post of eldest di son. This time, the Zhenbei Marquis' selfishness drove him to send his own heir to serve the emperor in the harem as a man.

The current king of Da Huan was famous for his violent temper and vicious methods. Among the aristocratic families he had a black reputation. Mu Xi worried what would happen to Shen Yu after he entered the palace. When she saw the emperor place so much importance on her young master, she felt relieved. Now that the matter had been settled, she just hoped the young master would have a smoother path.