thirty-one

"Watch it, woman." JJ said to Iris, who was still clutching onto JJ, immediately loosening her grip on him.

"Should we get on the boat?" Pope asked.

"Shit." Kie said as they saw the door open.

It was John fucking B.

"Wait, no way." JJ scoffed.

"No fucking way." Pope muttered.

"You've got to be kidding me." JJ laughed as John B walked towards them.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin."

"Okay, that's believable. I'll buy that for now." Kie said as John B walked onto the dock, followed by JJ and Iris.

"It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for you and she runs like she was made yesterday." JJ said, throwing him the keys, "You ready to go?"

"Wait, where's Sarah?"

"She's not with you?" Iris asked, chewing on her lip anxiously.

"No, we got separated in the swamp. She said she'd meet me here."

"We haven't seen her." Pope explained.

"Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her-"

"John B, look at me." JJ said as he turned to him, "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, and plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, alright? Hang out for a couple of weeks then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, got that? Brownsville. Hey!" He grabbed his head, "You got that?"

"Yeah, Brownsville."

"Alright, let's do this." JJ said as John B got onto the boat.

He turned back and looked towards the four of them, "Hey, hey. Uh, I'm sorry for basically throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing."

"John B, we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" JJ replied, "At least we did it together, though."

And JJ pulled Pope and Kie closer to him as they all wrapped their arms around each other.

"Pogue style." JJ smiled, looking at Iris then back at John B.

"Pogue style."

"Get out of here! Please." Kie said.

"Now! We'll see you in two months, down in Mexico! Iris is paying for the trip." Pope added.

"Get going before it's too late." Iris added in, ignoring Pope's comment.

"Love you." JJ said to John B.

"Hey, hey, wait a second. Tell Sarah I said goodbye, okay? Iris, please."

She nodded, "I will."

"Don't forget. Cross the border at Brownsville, okay?"

"Got it, JJ."

And the four of them pushed the Phantom out, watching John B speed off.

They stood there for a few minutes before Iris let out a deep breath, "I have to find Sarah."

"Iris, what if she's at home?"

She understood what he meant.

Rafe.

"That's a chance I'm willing to take."

"You're sure?"

"Yeah."