Dust and Tools

I didn't need to be in the room to know what was going on. The person inside wasn't even trying to be quiet. They hardly even tried to hide the sound of them rummaging through the myriad crates and display cases inside. Metal clanged against metal. Then the sound of several small metal objects falling on the ground. When I heard a quiet click I figured it was time to do something.

"Amara," I said, stepping out from behind the door my sister had haphazardly left open, "what exactly are you doing?"

Amara, for her part, didn't even try to hide what she'd been doing. Spread out across the floor of the room was all the old gear dad had left behind. Some of his old armor, two of his old fancy knives, and several bullets were laid out on the ground around her. Two more bullets were in her left hand, dad's revolver gripped in her right.

Amara was dressed for the event we were headed to, though she'd already accumulated some of the dust from the room on her skirt and blouse. I'd need to help her clean off before we arrived. Her handbag had also been thrown haphazardly to the side, forgotten amidst the tools she'd gathered.

"It's not as if I'm doing anything wrong," Amara said, putting the bullets and gun down. "Besides, it's not as if you are free of this guilt."

"I did it because I thought I would follow in dad's footsteps," I said, grabbing one of the two knives. "You're doing this because you don't grasp the reality of all this."

"Perhaps if you'd explain this 'reality,'" Amara said, grabbing the other knife to return to the display case, "then I would understand why you became such a coward."

I sighed. Of course she was going to fight about it. She was as hard headed as any. Perhaps if she'd forget her fantasies about our father's work, she'd wake up and realize that she could become a very accomplished businesswoman, or ruler of some nation. Instead, she was rooting around in this musty old office.

"What gave you the idea to come in here now?" I asked, putting the armor back onto the display stand in the corner. She'd only taken down the gauntlets, so it didn't take too long to get everything back up. "You know we have to leave."

"You were taking forever," Amara said. "Come on, Castus, you cannot require that much time to prepare."

"It does not do our family justice to show up in an unbecoming manner," I said, dusting off my vest. "This is a formal event, so we must look our best. Which includes not showing up covered in dust," I continued, gesturing to Amara.

Amara grumbled to herself some, then stood up, dusting off her skirt and blouse. Once she finished, she glared up at me and spun in a circle, skirts flaring out around her."Am I cleaned up to your satisfaction?" she asked with a smirk.

I looked over Amara's attire. Her white blouse and navy blue skirt went well together. Over her blouse she wore a vest identical to mine, done in the same navy blue, with a gold floral pattern accenting the color.

At first glance, there was nothing wrong with her attire. At least, there was nothing wrong according to anyone but her brother.

"Turn around," I said. Amara sighed, then did as I asked. "Take off your vest and raise your blouse, as well. I'll only be a moment."

"You can't be serious," Amara said, but she did as I asked, taking off her vest and draping it over her shoulder, raising her blouse high enough for me to fix her attire.

"I am," I said, taking to the laces of her corset. Looking over it, I could tell she'd tightened it to a nearly impossible degree. How she was still breathing I could not tell. Though I could tell her intent behind doing so.

As I loosened the laces, I said from behind Amara, "You do realize you are but sixteen and not a courtesan, yes?"

"I realize this," Amara said.

"Then why are you attempting to dress like one?"

Amara sighed. "You are a man, you wouldn't be able to understand."

"Is it a specific boy, or are you attempting to amass a harem for yourself?" I asked, retying the strings. "Regardless of your intentions, now you'll be able to breathe without feeling your ribs break."

"And I'll look that much more plain," Amara complained.

"You'll survive," I said, heading to the door. Amara put her vest back on, while I stepped back into my bedroom, grabbing my timepiece. As I stepped out, Amara stepped out of dad's study, handbag in hand.

"You put the revolver back, yes?" I said, looking her in the eyes.

Amara didn't even try to lie. She took the revolver out from her handbag, silently passing it to me.

I sighed, taking the weapon from her. "You know mom doesn't like us carousing about with these."

"I know," Amara said, her tone defensive.

"Then why were you attempting to take this with us?" I asked. "We're going to a party, and you were planning on bringing a gun."

"What if we need it?" Amara asked.

"Gareth flirting with you is not a situation which requires a gun," I said. "No matter how strange you think he is, shooting him only creates more problems."

"Then what should I do if Gareth, or any man for that matter, decides he's going to get friendly with me?" Amara asked.

"Gareth doesn't deserve shooting," I said, giving Amara a knowing look. "He's nice, if a little hard headed. How many times have you refused his invitations to dinner?"

"Eleven times now," Amara growled, "and if he asks again then I have to respond in a much more decisive manner."

"Your hand will be enough, in that case," I said, swiping my hand past her face as if slapping her. "If that isn't enough, come find me. It won't harm anyone's reputation if I punch someone in the face."

Amara sighed again. "Do we need to go?"

"Mother wishes us to be there. Or are you more incensed about our new father?"

"He's not our father, he's an interloper."

I chuckled. Amara had hated Lloyd since the first day he and mom had met. She had some idea in her head that Lloyd was trying to replace dad, and refused to accept him. I'd disliked him to begin with, though I could tolerate him. He made mom happy, so there was nothing to complain about in my mind.

"Whatever your feelings," I said, "Lloyd is an accomplished inventor, and mother wishes us to be there to support him. This event is meant to show off many inventors' work. Perhaps you'd even find something of interest there."

"A husband? A man to make me a proper woman?" Amara asked, her tone snide, though her face fell as she said it.

I stopped in my tracks and turned to her. "What exactly are you being taught? I meant that you might find inspiration for your own life path. Something to work towards. You are very near to becoming a proper adult. Your life is about to open up." I turned and began walking again. We were now at the entrance to the manor. "Who knows, maybe some new doors will open tonight."