17 - Flashback: Young Anna Montes [FINAL]

Warning: This chapter contains disturbing content that may be distressing for some readers. Please proceed with caution.

----

Twenty years ago, the Republic of the Philippines was embroiled in a war with the international terrorist group NPA-ONE on the island of Mindanao. It was a dark and tumultuous period in Philippine history, one that threatened to plunge the country into anarchy.

On a rainy night at the Mindanao Western Command Headquarters in Wao, Lanao Del Sur, General Jhonnes, an undercover officer in the Philippine National Police's intelligence division and a spy for NPA-ONE, crept along the city walls. 

His police uniform and black face mask blended into the darkness as he made his way to a tree near the training grounds. The heavy rain pounded the ground, the sound almost drowning out his light footsteps. The silver moon had hidden itself behind thick clouds, casting a shadowy veil over the landscape.

With his expert evasion skills, General Jhonnes managed to avoid the notice of the soldiers as he leaned against the tree, ready to carry out his secret agenda.

"A short moment later, a man in a black suit appeared from the shade of the tree.

"General Jhonnes, it's been a while," the man said, smiling. He was a spy, just like the one who had infiltrated the army's networks, Colonel Mandodadato.

"Enough with the greetings. Report," General Jhonnes said.

"Yes, sir. The ground army hasn't made any noteworthy movements. They seem content to surround our allies alongside the marine forces," Colonel Mandodadato said.

"Do you have the numbers?"

"Yes, there are about 50,000 men deployed from every battalion and another 30,000 non-personnel," the colonel replied.

General Jhonnes nodded with satisfaction. "Well done. Anything else to report?"

"There's something that caught my attention," Colonel Mandodadato said, his tone turning somber.

"Go on," the general prompted.

"There's a terrifying girl who recently joined the army. She's ranked number one amongst the military graduates nationwide, and the rumors about her insane capabilities are true. It's also said that she's an adoptive child of your superior and favored by President Luna," the colonel said.

General Jhonnes was shocked and remained speechless for some time. He had never thought the rumors were true and felt foolish for not considering them earlier.

It was so obvious if he thought about it. Since the girl was overqualified in any school, even managing to tap the highest score in national IQ tests, of course the President would scout this genius and snatch her up for who knows what.

It was no surprise that the girl in question was perhaps being used by the President to test her wits and resolve the problem of terrorists in the region. Or rather, he should have thought of this first. This was a serious oversight.

After all, they had already witnessed the power of the super-genius while the country was her playground.

"Does she have red-eye color?" General Jhonnes asked.

"That's right... So you know about her?" Colonel Mandodadato replied.

There were no doubts now. General Jhonnes sighed and nodded. "Yes, she killed the Abu Sayaf leader after all. It caused a big stir for the NPA-ONE higher-ups, and a bit later, news about his death will spread throughout the country."

"She killed that vicious leader! How is that possible?!" Colonel Mandodadato exclaimed, his eyes wide with shock.

General Jhonnes quickly checked their surroundings. "Maintain a low voice. In the beginning, I thought I misheard it too. But regrettably, this is the truth."