You Deserve This - Sunny

A tray full of cookies clattered to the floor. He'd done it. He'd told them. He stared at his friends surprised expressions, even Basil seemed to be shocked even though he'd already known. There was silence that felt as if it lasted for an eternity.

"YOU BASTARD!" Aubrey lunged at Sunny tears filling her eyes, "HOW COULD YOU!?"

Kel grabbed Aubrey as fast as she had moved, hooking his arms beneath hers, "A-Aubrey! P-Please! Calm down!"

"CALM DOWN!? HOW COULD I POSSIBLY-" Aubrey went silent and they all stood there stunned as Hero stepped forward, grabbing Sunny by the collar.

Hero was shaking, he was usually so calm and caring, but now he wore a threatening glare. "Explain. Right. Now."

From the hospital bed, Basil was trembling as tears rolled down his face. Sunny took a slow breathe, he told them everything, about his violin, how Mari had yelled at him, how it'd gotten physical, and finally, how it'd ended with her dead at the bottom of the stairs. Basil then picked it up, explaining their panic and how he'd hung Mari from the tree in the backyard, he cried the whole time. Sometime during the story, Hero had sat in his chair once more, a dead expression filling his eyes. The entire time, Kel held Aubreys arm tightly as if she would lunge at any moment, but she had long ago collapsed to the floor.

Kel just stared in disbelief at his friends. Sunny, Basil. How could this happen? How could Sunny and Basil do this? He dropped Aubrey's arm, searching for something to say, something to do that would make this all okay.

Hero stood, the tension in the room overflowed as he walked toward Sunny, but he did nothing. Just walked straight past him with a dead expression, leaving the room. Aubrey stood next, shoving past Sunny roughly, tears in her eyes. Kel looked between Sunny and Basil before taking a deep breathe, "I-I'll go talk to them." He brushed past Sunny gently, placing his hand on Sunny's shoulder gently in a reassuring gesture before he left. He seemed fine, but Sunny could see the tears welling in his eyes.

"Kel I'm-"

"Its fine. Sunny. It's fine."

For some reason, Kels reaction hurt more. Sunny, however, wasn't given time to dwell on it much. It was just him and Basil in the hospital room now. Basil was crying, attempting to wipe away his tears as they flowed down. Sunny sat in the chair Hero had previously been in and waited for his friend to calm down. Sunny wouldn't cry. He wouldn't allow the self pity. So he just sat there, silently. 

He had expected their reactions, but he didn't know what to do next. A small voice in the back of his mind laughed at him, "I told you so, this is what happens when you don't listen, you deserve this." it said quietly and he snuffed it out just as quickly as it had come.

"Sunny?"

He almost fell from the chair as Basil startled him from his thoughts. When had Basil stopped crying? Better question, how long had he been sitting there? Sunny looked at him, expecting to see some form of anger or fear on Basil's face, but he didn't. Instead, Basil was smiling, a warm, bright smile. "Thank you."

Sunny's eyes widened, "Wh-What!? Y-You a-arent mad?"

Basil shook his head, "No, of course not. We've been holding that information in for a long time and... though it will be hard for them to accept... they might hate us forever even... I'm glad we told them. They deserved the truth."

Basil then hesitated for a moment, "Everything will be okay."

Now, Sunny cried. The tears poured down his face, those four words ringing throughout his head, circling his mind as he tried to comprehend them. Could that be true? Would everything really be okay?

Basil hugged Sunny, pulling him closer so that he'd be comfortable. "You were supposed to leave today huh?"

Sunny nodded slightly, sitting on the hospital bed next to Basil. They looked at each other for a moment before basil started shaking slightly, "Y-Your eye... I-I'm so sorry..."

It was Sunny's turn to smile at him, "It doesn't hurt. I got a glance at what the doctors sheets said, you didn't get my actual eye. Just the side of it. They don't know if I'll be able to see properly yet, but from what the sheet says I think I got pretty lucky"

"Th-Thats the thing though! You shouldn't have had to 'get lucky'!" Basil's eyes filled with tears again, "God what is wrong with me?" 

Sunny sighed and flicked Basil's forehead, "Quit dwelling on it. There's nothing we can do about it now. And I'm not upset. Actually, I'm glad we fought last night." He looked down slightly, "I don't think I would have been able to tell them if we hadnt."

Basil half smiled now, "So where are you moving to again?"

Sunny was glad for the change of subject, "Some big city I never bothered to learn the name of."

Basil laughed slightly, but it was laced with sadness, "I'll... I'll miss you."

"I'll try to visit as often as I can Basil." Sunny leaned forward, "I promise. Every chance I get, spring break, summer, christmas, any time I get the chance."

Basil smiled at that, but before he could respond, the door opened. Kel walked in, any traces of the tears Sunny had previously seen were gone now. "They're upset, but they'll come around... eventually."

Sunny hesitated, "Kel, you don't need to make us feel better. Are YOU okay?"

Kel took a shaky breathe, sitting down in a chair across from them, "I... I'm upset. I wish you had told us but... I understand what happened and... I don't blame what happened on you. It could have gone better I'll admit, but you were kids. Hell, we all are STILL kids. Things happen that you can't control."

Basil and Sunny looked at each other and then back at Kel. "I'm- We're sorry." Basil looked at Kel with care, "W-We should have told you."

"Its alright. I'm glad you have now at least." Kel stood and stepped toward the door, "I-I'm gonna go now. I'll see you when I see you." Just like that, he left.

Sunny stood, "I should go aswell. My mom is probably looking for me."

He began to walk toward the door, but suddenly, Basil grabbed his wrist. 

"Basil I have to-" He stopped once he saw Basil's expression.

Basil's eyes were filled with sadness, "Promise you'll come back. Promise you won't leave me for good."

Sunny looked at him searchingly, then laughed gently, "You're so cute Basil." He smiled and ruffled Basil's hair, "I promise."

Basil huffed and pushed his hand away, his face a slight shade of pink from what Sunny thought was embarrassment. After all, even if it was only by a few months, Basil was older than Sunny, and here Sunny was, talking to him like he was a kid.

"Bye. Sunny." Basil sighed as he let go of Sunny's arm.

Sunny walked toward the door and waved before he left, "See you soon Basil."

Then he was gone.