• 𝐂hapter 34

Sudden shivers slithered down my spine and I clutched the hem of my dress, watching the scene unfold in front of me

"Darling," Mary spoke, reaching for his arm. "Please calm down."

I'd expected her to yell alongside him, I'd expected her to lash out, to be angry, but there was something else in her eyes; pity, worry, fear. She tugged on his sleeves. "Please just—"

"Don't tell me to calm down!" He spat out, casting her hands off his. "Are you seeing the headlines?! The Fobster name has been brought to question. Investors, sponsors are already calling our capability to qualm. This scandal has and will adversely affect our business dealings and you expect me to be calm when millions of dollars are at stake!"

"Father be reasonable," Killian drawled, unaffected by his raging fury. "This isn't enough to degrade the name of the company. Sure it'll do a little damage but it can be sorted."

"You still dare to run your mouth in front of me?!"

He defiantly crossed his arms across his chest, his casual posture meant to irritate him. I knew this because he did the same to me. "I didn't come here to fight with you. Let's talk this out."

Luther's chest rose with fury. "Talk what out? How you went to San Francisco and get some common slut pregnant? Is this why you left home? Is that why you were so eager to relocate; So you could get your feel of American fresh pussy?!"

Jesus Christ, his mouth was just as uncensored as his sons'.

His eyes flung to me and I nearly jerked. They were wide, harsh, demanding, and downright terrifying. I felt the need to explain myself, his accusations made bile rise in my stomach and my chest felt heavy. "Mr. Fobster, I—"

"With all due respect," Killian cut me, his voice deliberately even as he took a self-preservational step forward. "I understand your anger and will do everything in my power to mitigate it, but I will not stand here and allow you to displease Hope in that manner."

Quite shocked by his defense, I stayed quiet, standing there, watching as both men glared at each other. 

"How dare you." Luther ground. "You. Are. A. Fobster!" He barked, pointing at him. "Yet, look at this," he gave a disgusted glance at the newspaper on the floor. "How could you allow this sort of information to become public knowledge? How could you lie to me? You tried to deceive your mother and sisters! You brought a whore into our home and made a dummy out of your family and everything it stands for and as a result, you have not only disgraced yourself but you have betrayed us with your lies."

His words shot out of his mouth like bullets and landed directly on my chest. So deep I felt the urge to fall on my knees and cry.

"Darling," Mary tried to interfere again. "Please don't say that to him. I'm sure he meant well. He—"