14

It was official. Heiran had a stalker.

The duo who often struggled to come to a mutual agreement both whole-heartedly accepted that it was 'Y'. So the next second they had packed up and left to go scope out the places where Heiran's pictures were taken, hoping to find clues on who had sent her the anonymous baby blue gift.

Jungkook held a picture of Heiran's closeup shot date stamped Oct 24, 2021, against the sun as she compared the view. They were at the outdoor balcony of a themed cafe, staring down at the streets from where her picture was taken. He looked at her as she scrunched her nose in concentration, looking through the streets. A gentle breeze came brushing her golden blonde strands aside as he sighed.

Jungkook was relieved that Heiran hadn't let the threats from the Yeongsan murderer get to her. Then again, it was Heiran, he shouldn't have been surprised. However, something coiled in his gut every time he looked at the threat from the Yeongsan murderer. The way they had photographed her moves with a sinister allure, in every angle sure to capture her finest features; as if they saw her through a lover's eyes. They were anything but a lover.

When Jungkook was transferred to Jeonnam and assigned to Ahn Heiran's case, he wasn't sure if he was simply the luckiest person in the world or the unluckiest. Whatever game fate had played, now he thought it was for the best. At least he could be by her side when she was in danger.

"I was right. This shot is taken from right here in this cafe. Prosecutor Jeon, let's go." Heiran said with conviction, tapping on his arm as she walked through the glass doors to get back inside the cafe. Jungkook followed as she excitedly skipped up to the young barista by the counter. When he slowly came to stand beside her, the barista's eyes snapped up, and saw him before she could even notice Heiran. Amazement registered on them.

"Oh-OH! Silent Wolf-ssi?"

Jungkook smiled politely, already sensing the way his partner's face soured at the barista's reaction. "Ah, yes. Hello."

"Oh my god, I'm a huge fan! I've been following your cases ever since I heard that news story about the Hamilton director! You're– You're like a legend!" She gushed, flapping her hands wildly in excitement.

"Not so much. I'm only doing my job." He said with modesty and the barista squealed.

"God! You're so handsome too! Tell me, are you working right now?" She inquired eagerly, leaning over the counter and Heiran realized that the conversation was taking a turn. Before Jungkook could open his mouth, she tapped on the counter and answered for him, "As a matter of fact, yes. That's why we would like to take a look at your cafe's surveillance cameras."

The young barista suddenly snapped her eyes to Heiran warily as if she was seeing her for the first time. A look of skepticism dawned on her face. "And who are you?"

Heiran closed her eyes, trying to summon the patience that had long since evaporated, a sarcastic smile tugging on her lips. Jungkook came to her aid, "This is my partner."

A scandalized gasp as the girl at the counter darted her eyes back and forth between the duo. "Your partner?"

"Work-partner." Heiran corrected impatiently, "So, can I have a look at them? The surveillance cameras—"

"They're broken," she answered nonchalantly, dismissing her with a wave. "They've been broken for months but our manager is short on cash so he didn't bother to fix it."

An exasperated sigh left her lips. Of course, Heiran should've known it wouldn't be that easy. Her mind was a cloud of chaos, she leaned away from the counter leaving Jungkook to deal with the barista. A slow thumping migraine was developing in her temples and she massaged them with her fingers, easing the pain. It always happened when things didn't go her way.

That lead went nowhere. Coming to this cafe was a waste of time. There was no way they could inquire about a culprit to someone when they didn't even know who they were looking for. Heiran briefly wondered whether 'Y' knew about the surveillance cameras and whether that was why they chose this exact place. The possibilities only made her head hurt more.

She was wandering about, dazed in thought when a warm hand landed over her shoulder, serving as her anchor and jerking her back to reality. Jungkook's familiar voice whispered near her ear. "Partner, look over there."

Out of the haze, Heiran saw what he was pointing at and gasped. Soon her feet hurried over to the place where an assortment of colorful polaroid pictures hung on the wall, decorated with fairy lights; records of memories, and hidden messages. A piece of the people who visited the cafe or passed by. A polaroid wall.

Her inquisitive eyes ran over the polaroid picture wall of the themed cafe. There was a reason this cafe was called Reminiscent. It was a place to make memories or reminisce about the past. The polaroid wall full of photos: records of memory. Her eyes roved over the handwritten captions on the pictures.

Don't forget about us!

FSoPA high Class of 2015

Let's promise to come back here in 3 years.

We're getting married!

Heiran's finger hovered over the pictures looking for something, anything when a picture caught her eyes dated for Oct 24, 2021. Prosecutor Jeon placed the polaroid picture in his hand, the closeup shot of Heiran, near the wall such that the date stamps aligned.

"It's the same date." Jungkook breathed.

It's a beautiful day today. I took so many pictures!

Heiran didn't know why she had gravitated towards the picture. There was something about it screaming for her. A magnetic pull drew her closer to it but she couldn't quite point out what it was. A vague familiarity washed over her.

It was an ordinary picture, taken from the outdoor balcony of the cafe by some girl whose outline Heiran could faintly make out through the reflection on the glass in the picture. But what caught her attention wasn't that as Heiran examined the view of the interior of the cafe in the picture. The shot offered her a glimpse of all of the customers that were present at that time inside the cafe and that was exactly what she was looking for. The nagging feeling behind her head intensified as she scrutinized it, making her head throb painfully when her eyes fell on the familiar man standing by the counter of the cafe in the picture.

Ahn Heiran's breath hitched as she finally found what she was looking for.

"It wasn't me, Prosecutor-nim! Please, believe me! I swear on my Dan Ho, it wasn't me."

"Kim Namjoon?"

A/n: And so the plot thickens

A/n: And so the plot thickens... What are your suspicions, dear Detective kittens?