4.5

[4.5]

Kuvira doesn't listen to Reason

"Are you sure we should be going to Zaofu? Dad wanted us to bring you back to Republic City."

Rae straightened her back when Jinora's voice resonated around them, her left hand gripping tightly the saddle behind her while her right hand was holding Meelo's. The boy was practically sitting in Rae's lap as she used him as an anxiety reliever.

"If Kuvira's headed to Zaofu, so am I," said Korra, making the Guardian nod in agreement, "she needs to know that the Avatar is back and that the Guardian has my back. The world needs to know."

Meelo suddenly rose, his feet resting on Rae's crossed knees. The woman's dull eyes widened as her body wobbled, not being able to keep her balance. Meelo let out a cry and Rae's now free hand went to the saddle behind her. She gripped it hard, making her knuckles turn white, and she shut her eyes tight.

"Avatar fight! This is going to be awesome!"

"Please sit down, kid," muttered Rae shakingly as the wind ruffled her long uneven bangs.

"Meelo, there isn't going to be any fight," said Korra with a sweet look, "Kuvira saved my dad. She was a captain in Su's guard. I think she can be reasoned with."

"What?!" exclaimed Meelo as Rae opened her eyes slightly and said, "Kuvira's a snake. She doesn't know what reason is."

"No fight?!" continued Meelo as if he didn't hear Rae's words, "Why did we have to go through all that trouble to save you if we're not going to beat someone up?!"

"Just sit down, Meelo," begged Rae as she made the courage to detach both her hands from the saddle and hold the boy by his torso. The boy whined but listened to the Guardian nevertheless and Rae found herself hugging the boy like a cushion.

The sky bison took a sharp turn and Jinora turned to them. "We should be closing up," she yelled over the wind, making both Korra and Meelo get to their feet. Rae let out a curse when she felt her stomach twist and she quickly grabbed the saddle again. Ikki looked at her with a sad face and got up, walking to her, and sitting in front of her. The girl let her body lean on Rae and the woman froze before slowly bringing her arms and wrapping them around Ikki's body.

"Thanks," she muttered in the girl's hair, making Ikki smile and say thank you in a singing voice.

"I see it," yelled Meelo, "Zaofu! We made it! ...and a bunch of other people are too."

"Oh no," said Korra as she stared at the army, "I hope we're not too late."

Her words only made Jinora tense and she ushered the sky bison to fly faster. It took a few minutes to finally land, but when they did, Rae was the first one that got off the bison. The moment her bare feet touched the metal floor; a sigh of relief escaped her lips and she smiled at the way she could feel all the small tremors of the people that walked. Ikki came behind her and handed her the pair of boots and the bag. Carefully, Rae put her boots on, loving the way the metal soles of the shoes didn't change her perception of the world, and handed the bag to one of the guards that approached them.