47 Beast

A dagger and a silk heart.

Sandra Cisneros

Him

"The force we're against is strong, and the price it requires is big."

"All great things require sacrifices."

"Not always. Some things require wit. Between the two, which would you choose?"

"Do you have a plan?"

His friend smiles at his question and crumbles the map before throwing it into the fire. It turns to ashes in the flames. He lazily drags his eyes back to him from the fire.

"You underestimate my brother," he tells him. "Sulaiman has an army behind him. If you go against him, there's an equal chance of you losing as of you winning. Then why take the risk when you can raise the stakes in your favor?"

"How come?"

"I don't have a plan. You've to make one." He gets up and walks past him. Then stops and places a hand over his shoulder. "If you want the throne, then earn it for yourself."

"The throne is yours, Yusuf."

He laughs at his comment and pats his back. "You succeeded me. Will you allow me to overthrow you?"

He smirks. "Will you?"

"Ah, the lust for power is a dangerous thing. Nothing in the world can satiate it. We always want more, now don't we?" He pulls the hood of his cloak over his head. "I might if you fail. The shadows have treated you fair for long, but maybe it's time you step into the light and prove your worth."

He chuckles at the suggestion and stands up too. "So, Al Shafay shall make an appearance then, I see. Sounds fun, my friend."

Her

Her

The rain is gentle like her touch on the gold head chain he had gifted her some time ago. She had liked it very much, and he had liked it on her as much, as his eyes had told her. And if she valued it before, she treasures it now. Things between them didn't change all at once, yet still this shift of feelings surprises her. It's unexpected, but it's intense, so much so that it has mended her heart that was broken before. But she's well aware that though this has become her healing, so can this be the reason to break her again.

The gardens of the palace spread before her as she watches them from her balcony. The sky despite the drizzle retains it's shades of orange near the horizon. Her eyes follow her husband walking besides Taha ibn Amr, the new general of Baghdad, as they discuss something. For the past few days that they've returned to the palace, that is what he has been up to-- strategizing with the officials and generals. He has been busy and absent, and though she understands it, she misses him.