Winter Break! - Sunny

A week later

Sunny jumped off the bus, excitement rushing through his blood. He was home, even if it was only temporary. Faraway town was icy, snow falling. His coat was thick, so he didn't feel cold. He took a deep breath of the cold air, his exhale causing a small cloud form, which he found amusing. He was way more excited than he probably should be to come back to his home town. 

He pulled his small suit case, packed for a two week stay, behind him. The town was small enough so that he could walk anywhere from the bus stop in 10 minutes tops. He would be staying with Kels family while he was there, he walked down the sidewalk with a rush of energy. He admired the familiar street as he walked. He'd only been gone a few months but it felt like an eternity.

He and his mom were now living in an apartment, since it was just the two of them they didn't really need much space. He didn't really like his new school, since he tended to be more quiet and not show very much emotion, a lot of the students thought he was weird and didn't really talk to him. He didn't mind though, he didn't want new friends anyway. 

As he reached the door to Kels house, he hesitated, it was so kind of them to allow him to stay with them. Especially since Hero was coming home for the holiday aswell. He wondered how Hero felt about him being there. He had to make sure he wasn't a burden. 

He rang the door bell, rocking on his heels as he waited. Kels mother answered the door, her eyes lit up, "Ah Sunny! Hello! Come in dear," She ushered him in and shut the door, "We weren't expecting you until a bit later." 

He smiled gently, "The bus came earlier than I thought."

She smiled back, "Kel isn't home right now, he and his father went to pick Hero up from the airport."

"O-Oh okay." He didn't mean to stutter, but he thought Hero wasn't supposed to come back until the day before Christmas. "Isn't that a bit early?"

She nodded gently as she went to sit on the couch, "Yes, he wanted to come back early when he heard you were coming."

Sunny's body went tense, "He did?"

"Mhm! They should be here in about an hour."

Sunny hesitated, "Uh-Uhm... I'm going to go walk around town. I-Its been awhile since I've been here."

"Alright, but be back before six please."

He nodded, just like that, he left his suitcase where it stood and sped out the door. Once he got some distance between himself and the house he stopped running, crouching and breathing heavily. The cold air filled his lungs and slowly brought him back to reality. 

'What made me think I could do this?' He was trembling, from the cold or panic he could not tell. He had thought he would have more time to prepare himself for seeing Hero. 'What am I supposed to do now? I can't just go home. Can I?'

He stood up carefully, bringing his hands to his mouth and breathing out on them to warm them up. He took one more deep breathe, 'I need to calm down. I'll go to Gino's, eat some pizza and get my thoughts straight.'

His eyes drifted over the houses as he passed them. As he passed the park, he paused for a moment, feeling the urge to go to the secret hangout, but resisted. He kept going, nothing had changed since he'd been gone. It made him really happy. He admired the stone fountain as he walked to the Gino's Pizza. 

His eyes now locked on to the Gino's Pizza sign hanging above the door as he opened it. Though he didn't get to look at it for long, as he collided with someone who was exiting the restaurant.