Board Meeting

"the only reason we aren't 'preforming' is because the team was practically ripped apart. we've never not played as a team before." i complained to adam while we walked to the board room. "i really can't believe they're doing this." he shook his head.

"it's okay, i have a good feeling about this." i smiled and adam stopped in front of the door. "this is it." he breathed. "yeah, we'll be good." i nodded and he squeezed my hand.

he opened the door for me and gave me a small wink as i passed him. i rolled my eyes and walked to stand next to aspen and julie.

-

"do i have a motion for reconsideration?"

no one moved, no one said anything. i quietly sighed to myself and anxiously looked around. rick and cole smirked at us from across the room. i took my middle finger and itched my face then sweetly smiled at the two. aspen quietly snickered from beside me and connie gave me a nudge.

"i'm sorry, coach, but unless there's a..motion from a fellow board member and a second, the decision must stand."

i bit the inside of my cheek and tapped my foot against the floor nervously, while i stared at my hands. someone's pinky wrapped around mine and i looked up to see a grinning adam beside me. i lightly swung our hands back and forth, then looked up and around the room.

coach orion looked at me and i nodded. "you leave us no choice but to bring in our attorney." he shrugged smugly.

the confused murmurs of my fellow teammates, the doubtful snickers of varsity players, and the aghast board members turning to the door that just opened made me smile to myself.

"Dean Buckley, members of the board. As council for Coach Orion...and the freshman hockey team, i'm here today to set forth your legal options, so that you may make the best possible decision for all parties concerned." Bombay walked past us all towards the front of the room to stand next to Dean.

rick looked over at us confused and angry, and i made a sarcastic shocked face at him.

"mr. bombay," mr. buckley spoke carefully, "this isn't a legal proceeding." he shook his head. "not yet, but i can assure you that it will be." coach bombay nodded his head while i laughed quietly. "do you mind?" he questioned, handing his briefcase to mr. buckley.

"these scholarships...an offer..became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients...and acceptance by the ducks. they can't be voided except for cause which, i guarantee you, you have none. should you decide to peruse their cancellation, i will slap you with an injunction. i will tie this matter up in court for years, until long after these kids have gone on to college. and i will collect damages. i will win."

i smiled, knowing we had definitely won this one.
my teammates whispered to each other excitedly, while board members discussed reasons why the man before them was absolutely correct. varsity members didn't say a word and all looked down to the floor.

"because i am very, very good. you know why i'm so good? because i had a good education. you gave it to me. and you are going to give it to these kids. now, some of you may be snobbish enough to believe that these ducks don't belong at eden hall." at least half of the room gave a pointed look over to the varsity team.

"let me tell you, you're dead wrong. these are remarkable young people. you give them their full shot, and i promise you they will succeed, not only on the ice, but in their classrooms as well. these people are my friends, and i know what they can do. accordingly, i demand that you reinstate their scholarships, for their benefit...and for your own."

"i move that the scholarships be reinstated." one of the board members stated and i felt a rush of excitement. "is there a second?" mr. buckley asked, and i looked around hopefully. the man at the head of the table raised his hand. "all in favor?" almost all of the board members raised their hands and i laughed excitedly with aspen.

"scholarships reinstated."

the team erupted into cheers and, oddly enough i turned around to hug adam. he froze for a second, but quickly hugged back. "was this your doing?" he muttered. "i called in some reinforcements." i shrugged.

we all walked out and i heard charlie apologizing to aspen in front of me for whatever he was apologizing for this time.

"congratulations...on destroying our school." rick stood in front of the exit. "can you give it a rest? it's our school too, so you might as well just walk away." i sighed, crossing my arms. "no, it'll never be your school. don't you get it? you're our own little affirmative action, brought in for color to entertain us. but you couldn't even do that. you're fancy lawyer kept you in on a technicality, but you'll never belong." rick finished.

"you'll never be more than a bunch of rejects here on a free ride." cole added in.

"free ride? look at you, rich boy. mommy and daddy gave you everything, huh?" russ scoffed as adam and i walked up towards the front of the group.

"hey, j.v-varsity game's on friday. then we'll show the whole school what a joke you really are. then maybe, you'll leave on your own." rick raised his eyebrows. "yeah, good luck. i doubt that, though." i rolled my eyes at the boys.

"you know we're gonna hurt you." cole taunted and i laughed. "the only reason you were half good last time is because you had one of our own." i reminded them and charlie nodded. "banks was an unfair advantage." he shrugged at the boys.

"oh, well, keep him. he never had the heart of a warrior anyway."

"you warriors have hearts? shocking." i laughed to myself. "yeah, yeah. get ready, losers. good luck, captain." rick jokingly bowed to me before they all took off.

"ew." i rolled my eyes the immaturity of the teenage boys that were just stood in front of me.

"we're screwed, then." averman nodded. "only reason to work harder, averman. who's up dog practice, then?" i raised my eyebrows before walking towards the rink. the team all groaned and mumbled, but followed behind me.

it felt good to be back as a team.

-
omg it's been awhile. sorry.

i promise i'll write more.

cheer tryouts are coming up soon and i'm actually scared. if i don't make it catch me crying because my friends definitely will!!