Chapter 69

I left Camp Jupiter the next day, right after I'd made sure that Frank, Hazel, and Percy made it to the Alameda docks, the sorry excuse of a Roman navy waiting for their arrival. I noticed that throughout the conversation back at the Senate House up to now, Percy had been staring for uncomfortably long periods of time at my neck, frowning slightly, his fingers reaching up to fiddle with the beads around his leather cord.

I'll admit, not wearing my Camp Half-Blood necklace over the past few days (I usually wore it to Camp Jupiter anyways, and no one asked any questions) was weird, missing the familiar presence of all those beads resting on my collarbone. But I knew I had to take it off for the time being, so I did.

"Here is where I have to take my leave," I said, clenching and unclenching my hand around the strap of my bag, slung across my chest. "You'll be going to Alaska, a land beyond the gods. You know what that means, right?"

Hazel nodded grimly. "We're on our own, I know. You can't save us this time."

"Unfortunately. However, I can give you some information that may be helpful at some point."

"Information?" Frank asked, failing to keep the disappointment out of his voice. He probably hoped that I could do something about the Pax, but Percy had already hopped into the well-worn rowboat, removing the scummy, trashy water from the hull with a wave of his hand.

"Trust me, it's not as disappointing as you'll think it'll be." I sighed. "Firstly, keep Percy away from Polybotes – he's the anti-Neptune and bad news. Secondly, if you find yourself in the path of the Amazons, Hazel, you do all the talking, unless you want the boys to be in orange jumpsuits and wearing chain collars for the foreseeable future."

Percy snorted. "That's a fashion statement if I've ever heard of one."

"Frank, I know you've been told this many times, but I'll say it again: you can be anything. That is your family gift." Frank seemed a little miffed, but there was some semblance of understanding written on his face. "Hazel, you'll get better soon, I promise. Percy, your memories will be returned to you sooner than you expect."

With that being said, I pulled the three into a group hug, wishing them all good luck as they boarded the Pax, pulling out of the docks and heading towards the Golden Gate Bridge at about fifteen knots.

I didn't leave the docks until the boat was nothing more than a speck against the horizon.

I let out a breath I hadn't been aware I was holding, my hand reaching into my bag, my fingers curling around the vial that contained all of Percy's memories. Hera had promised me that the moment the gorgon blood touched Percy's lips, the memories would slip out on their own, allowing for him to finally remember his past. I sure hoped that had been the case the first time around, or else I was flying blind, something I tried to avoid at all costs.

It's time, I told myself, relishing in the cool breeze rippling across the bay, whipping my hair into a frenzy, the saltiness of the air stinging my eyes. I lifted my hands to the sky, enjoying the warmth of the sun on my skin, completely aware that it would be a while before I saw it again.

I dissolved into my own shadow, reappearing on the precipice of the giant pit that would lead me directly into the depths of Tartarus itself, where my friends and boyfriend were held captive.

My stomach churned violently at the vast darkness, my fire unable to illuminate a thing farther than a foot away. You see, I'm not afraid of the dark...my fear lies in what's in the darkness. I turned my bag back into a charm, fiddling with my hands as I walked closer to the edge.

"I have to do this," I said aloud, my voice drowned out by the howling wind and screaming spirits around me. "For Luke, for Will, for Nico."

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and fell forward, willingly throwing myself into the most nightmarish place on the entire planet.