Thirty | Intrigue

"Intriguing indeed," Thana remarked, leaning across the mahogany desk. Her breasts were on full display from the low cut corset. Black veins mapped her chest with the stagnant blood of her unbeating heart.

It had taken an hour to explain Visena's situation to the Vampires. They paused a few times to feed Visena and water her. The ancient bloodsuckers treated her like a pet, but she put up with it for a decent meal.

They had few questions, mainly about the 'prophecy' the Witch Council had shared, but the Fae girl hardly remembered it. "They said something about ruling over people, I think," she told them. "Can I ask you a few questions now?" Visena asked with a barely stifled yawn.

Thana leaned in with a grin while Mihnea reclined back in his chair. Both looked enchanted by the small Fae- Wolf girl.

"Do the Councils often keep secrets from one another?"

Thana looked to Mihnea for what looked like permission. He nodded without breaking Visena's eye contact. "Sometimes, when it involves their kind only. Although this time, I think they should have included us all. You are quite phenomenal."

Visena flushed under the Vampires' lustful gaze.

"Will you help me? The Witch Council didn't do much. I think they knocked me out, actually...." The memory of falling unconscious returned in small increments, along with Ambrose's empty eye sockets. Visena shuddered.

"We need proof. Years of laws and policy have our hands tied, I'm afraid." Mihnea steepled his fingers as he spoke. "We would need to wait, as you say, for the Blue moon. Then, if Zeir comes to collect you, we can follow his foul scent and uncover his plans. I have lived many lifetimes, and I know there is no greater disgrace than interfering with wolf mates. It is forbidden. If Zeir truly has found a way to force your bond, then he and his witch must die."

The room fell quiet as Visena processed his words. "But what about the Council? They are just as corrupt...."

Thana hissed from the insult while Mihnea clasped his hands. "I created this Council six hundred years ago with some of the most powerful leaders the five species had ever seen." He sneered then. "Their descendants, however, have not proven as useful."

The expression of the women in the room was quizzical. "What are you saying?"

"Whatever you decide to do with this Council. I will not stand in your way."

Visena had not thought that far but she caught on quickly. Once she was in her rightful place again, far from Zeir, she would need to do something about the Council. "The Witch Council seemed pretty old too. Do you know Ambrose and Sybil?"

Mihnea wrinkled his nose. "Yes, they are the grandchildren of the first Witch leader, Hecate. But unfortunately, they chose not to take up the position in her absence. So instead, they nominated Nimueh and Cornelius."

"Do you know a witch called Calypso too?"

Thana recoiled, "How do you know the hidden one?"

The energy in the room changed slightly, and Visena shrank back in her chair. Mihnea clenched his jaw. "I suppose she is your pack witch then."

He took Visena's silence as confirmation. "She is a formidable being. Almost as powerful as Hecate herself. It is a shame voting for leadership did not popularise in her time."

"It still hasn't," Visena grumbled. The whole system needed to be destroyed. "Anyway, um, so I have to stay until the Blue moon, and when Zeir comes, you'll follow us. Is that right? You'll help me then?" Visena could hardly keep her eyes open, let alone form a coherent thought. Her neck was a mess of pus and bubbling skin beneath her collar.

Mihnea only then seemed to notice the girl's discomfort. "What barbaric contraptions. Come closer. I can remove them."

"Seriously?" She stumbled over to the desk into Mihnea's arms. She didn't even see him move.

His slender fingers curled beneath the silver and removed the collar with an easy tug. He dropped it to the floor with a disgusted look.

"You couldn't have done that when I first came in?" Visena asked wryly while gingerly probing her neck. It wasn't healing as fast as usual. Her fingertips came away with pink-tinged fluid. With clenched fists, she stuck her arms out to the Vampire. "Can you do these too?"

Mihnea raised his brow and smirked before complying with her request. "Would a drop of your blood be too much to ask?" His soft voice was such a contradiction to the dark words he spoke.

Thana's nails sliced into the mahogany wood in anticipation.

"Uh, why? I mean, just one drop?"

"Yes." The 's' dragged on, serpent-like. "I would like to test a theory." He looked at Visena knowingly, yet she had no idea what he was talking about.

"Okay." Visena didn't have the heart to argue. What could one drop of blood do anyway?

His icy fingers lifted Visena's wrist, and he turned it over. Palm up. With a sharp end of his thumbnail, he sliced the tiny thumping vein along her wrist crease. A plump bead of garnet appeared on her skin, and he lifted her wrist higher, looking over to his counterpart—an offering.

Thana jumped on the opportunity and appeared beside them in an instant. Her mouth wrapped around the tiny drop, eyes closing in ecstasy. Then, within a breath, Thana recoiled, mouth ajar and eyes impossibly wide. Her hands flew to her chest, and Visena saw the black veins squirm and dance. "What's happening?" both women cried fearfully.

Mihnea pulled Thana's hand away from her heart and watched in fascination as dead blood turned blue beneath the skin.

Visena put pressure on her small wound and backed away. She couldn't bear to have hurt the one person that may have helped her. Thana's eyes were swimming with tears as she stared into Mihnea's black ones. "How did you know?" she whispered to him.

"I'm so sorry...." Visena's back hit the door, the thump drawing the Vampires attention. Mihnea's expression didn't change as he approached her. He brushed a stray hair from her cheek while Thana's body shook with silent sobs.

"I'm sorry, Thana. I'm sorry."

Mihnea's eyes seemed to twinkle delightedly. "Intriguing indeed."

~~~

A/N

Early update, cause why not. 

I'm currently writing chapter 69 right now ;) (it's not as sexy as I wish it could be lol), so I feel like I could post more often... 

I'm at a bit of a quandary, though, because I know I can be annoying seeing someone update all the time. 

Does anyone have a preference?

Anywhooo, if you enjoyed please, vote, comment, share -whatever - everything is appreciated <3

Until next time xxx