Chapter Five: Meeting Malina

It had been years since Desna and Eska became the Chiefs of the Northern Water Tribe, and yet the councilmen still balked at Eska's position every now and then. The twins dealt with it with poise each time, and Eska never let it be known to them that it bothered her to any degree – but both Desna and Kaida knew it did bother her deep down. How could it not? And the fact that these dusty old men were not only disrespecting her girlfriend, but also making her upset, well... Kaida didn't respond with nearly as much poise as the twins.

Kaida usually steered clear of council meetings, knowing that she was very opinionated yet had no right to speak as the Chiefs' mere "companion" – that was what Kaida was currently referred to as, knowing the councilmen would probably short circuit if they knew the Chiefs were courting the same person, plus that meant Eska was with a woman – so it was a recipe for disaster. But Kaida been bored that day, about a month after beginning her courtship with Desna and Eska, so she'd asked to join them during their meeting. They were both hesitant, for the same reasons she had been, but conceded after a few extra sweet "pleeaasseee"s from Kaida.

When Eska shot down one of the men's ideas, he grumbled something to the effect of, "She shouldn't even be a Chief in the first place...."

"What is it about Eska that makes you think she'd be an incapable ruler?"

Kaida's dangerously calm tone cut through the room like a blade, the words tumbling from her lips before she even realized it. Everyone else fell silent, and the councilman wore a look of shock, before it morphed into a look of absolute agitation as he realized he'd been granted an opportunity to speak his mind freely.

"She's a woman!"

"And?"

"I... well... women are always so ill-tempered! It's only a matter of time before she executes someone for doing her manicure wrong, or she wages a war because her... monthly cycle is present."

Arms folded on the table and leaned forward on them, holding eye contact with the imbecile, Kaida argued, "Eska is actually one of the most level-headed people I've ever met. And she believes being upset over trivial matters, like a lackluster manicure, is a sign of idiocy. Besides, each of your points is a grossly inaccurate over-generalizations of all women. Tell me what about Eska specifically makes you think she wouldn't be a good leader?"

Desna and Eska exchanged a glance, silently asking the other "Should we stop her?" But when Kaida spoke again, they mutually decided that they wished to see how this would pan out. Meanwhile, the councilman looked as though he was trying with all his might to come up with a good response, but his efforts were fruitless, so he just stood there with his mouth repeatedly opening and closing like a fish.

"You liked Unalaq as a leader, right?"

"Yes. He was the finest Chief the Northern Water Tribe has seen in my lifetime," the man said without hesitation.

"Eska was raised as his protégé, the same as Desna was. They attended the same classes, they read the same books, they constantly studied with their father together. Eska is just as capable a leader as Desna. Her gender is entirely irrelevant. And I cannot speak for the Chiefs, but I don't think they'd disagree when I say that if you have a problem with Eska based solely on the fact that she's a woman, you have no place in this council."

Still flabbergasted, the man just stood there,, and with both twins wearing identical bemused smiles, Desna and Eska stated, "We concur with our companion's statement."

"As do I."

The unfamiliar voice turned everyone's heads, and its owner was a stranger to Kaida – although she'd heard a great deal about her.

Malina stood in the grand entrance of the meeting room, her arms crossed and disappointment on her face. She had been in the South visiting her in-law Senna for the past two months, something she never had the privilege of doing while her uptight husband Unalaq was alive. She wasn't expected back for another few weeks, so Kaida had thought she was safe from having to meet her boyfriend and girlfriend's mother for the time being, but she was wrong – and the woman had just witnessed her, an outsider, speaking out at a council meeting. Great.

"Lady Mileena, I –"

"Stifle your apologies, Yagotuk. You are dismissed from your position in this council," Malina interjected, before adding, "Unalaq would be horribly disappointed with you."

The man hung his head, stood from his chair, and exited the room. Only then did Malina walk over to her children, placing a hand on each of their shoulders as she looked to the remainder of this council.

"My children have been far more tolerant of your disrespect than any of you deserve. Their father taught them the importance of having a trustworthy, intelligent council at their disposal – he would be immensely displeased to know that is not what we have before us today. What you all fail to understand is that he did raise his daughter to become Chief one day, as their consort noted. He never expected to die before he had the chance to discuss that matter with you lot, but there is a reason he raised her with all the same teachings as Desna. So, if any of you ever disrespect Eska again, not only will you be removed from this council at once, but you will be a disappointment to your beloved Chief Unalaq."

Malina allowed her words to sink in for a moment, before declaring, "This meeting is adjourned."

All of the council members stood, their chairs scraping across the floor in a loud harmony, before swiftly exiting the room. Once they were all gone, Malina's cold, stoic expression was replaced with a warm, kind smile, as if some switch had been flipped.

"We have not heard that tone from you since we were caught causing chaos in your makeup drawer at age six," Desna noted, standing to hug his mother.

"In fairness though, we had thoroughly destroyed countless expensive eyeshadows and lipsticks in the process," Eska added, taking her turn to hug Malina, who chuckled at their observation.

"You two had told me that they were still extremely contemptuous toward Eska, but I had no idea they were so disgustingly blatant about it," Malina explained, then placed a hand on the cheek of each of her children. "I know you two are still a bit hesitant in some aspects of being the Chiefs, such as firing council members. You fear the North will think you are being too rash – out of control perhaps. But we can find new council members, I assure you. Never tolerate disrespect."

"Yes, Mother," they both said, smiling softly.

"Not that we aren't pleased to see you," Desna began, allowing Eska to finish.

"But you weren't due home for another few weeks. Did something go wrong?"

"Not at all. On the contrary, actually! My darling babies sent me a letter to explain that they are courting someone, and I was too excited to meet them to wait." Malina glanced at Kaida and shot her a grin before loudly whispering to the twins, "And I like her already!"

With identical smiles on their faces, the twins stepped over to Kaida and each placed a hand on the small of her back. "Mother, this is Kaida. Kaida, this is our mother."

"It's so nice to finally meet you," Kaida said, shaking Malina's hand, before Malina simply pulled her into a hug.

"Likewise!" Malina replied as she stepped away from the embrace, then wrapped her arm around Kaida's shoulders. "Now, let's go have tea on the balcony and chat. I can't wait to get to know you!"