fifty six

the day of the match the entire school seems to be bustling with excitement. naturally, what with harry being the new seeker, this year's quidditch season brought with it bouts of change and everyone but the slytherins hoped it would knock the snakes off their winning streak.

you stride into the great hall alone, because you woke up a little later than usual and serena had woken up at the usual time.

you frown, fiddling with the bottom hem of your school skirt as you realise she isn't sat at your place at the table where the pair of you usually sit to eat breakfast.

then, your air supply is abruptly cut off as you feel the strength of a hundred strands of woven green and silver grip you by the neck.

you raise a hand and pry the scarf lose with thin, cold and redening fingers, before turning around, pink-faced to see serena and blaise standing smugly behind you.

"as if you hadn't almost murdered me-." you choke and the two chuckle.

"yes, but a simple hello wouldn't have done it." serena waves.

blaise steps forward, adjusting the scarf and your hair around it. "where is your house pride, your colours- oh snape?"

"in my arse." you snap, slapping his hands away.

he rubs the dark ebony of his back hand and pulls on a fake pout as serena pretends to dote over him and his injury.

"mind your language or i might just have to tell your father, y/n." she scolds you. "besides, today's a good day and you're spending it with us."

"yeah no, wandering off." blaise insists. "i'm not blind to it. it's like you seek danger."

"i'm a dangerous woman, zabini." you smirk.

"you're hardly a woman." he snorts, barely dodging a smack across the head.

"anyways!" shafiq separates the pair of you, placing herself in between and throwing an arm over each of your shoulders. "today we win a match and scream our lungs out, capiche?"

"ma'am." blaise nods.

"understood." you laugh, as she leads the three of you out into the cold where a bunch of first years stand, chatting excitedly about what lies ahead.

it's nearing half ten, and the match starts at around eleven so the first years are just about ready to make their ways to the quidditch field and into the stands where they should take their seats.

"hello." you say and the rest of the slytherins open the circle to your little trio.

"we were just saying y/n, that the matches are the best when there's blood." snarls draco.

you grimace. "yeah, well. i hope we can win this one without it."

"at least from our end, she means." serena laughs, causing a bubbling of laughter from the group to erupt.

"let that harry bleed a bit his first go." pansy giggles. "that would humble him."

"scar him for life you mean." theo counters. "he's never flown before hogwarts."

"what's is he? half blood?" daphne asks.

"yeah." gregory answers. "his dad was relatively pure blooded till his mum."

"where'd you learn the word relatively, goyle?" malfoy teases causing both greg and vincent to step back and keep quiet for the rest of the conversation.

blaise frowns but serena clings to his arm.

"you aren't very nice, draco." you say, calmly.

"that's hardly news to anyone." he scoffs.