81- Alphas

"Alice, what did you see?" Carlisle's clear and focused voice cut through the worry clouding my mind.

Jasper held me as tight as he could while we sat on the floor. I could feel him trying to help my emotions, but I was long past that.

"I'm not even sure," Alice said.

"It's going to be okay," Jasper told me, trying to calm me down.

"They're coming," I told him sadly. "I don't want to go."

"Who?" He asked me. "Go where?"

"It's her old pack," Edward said, taking charge. "They've decided to come here and make Emma go back with them."

"They can't do that," Emmet said, now pissed off.

"They can," I said quietly. "All he has to do is use his Alpha voice, and I have to go."

"We'll fight them," Emmet said quickly. "Sam will help. It'll all be fine."

"Why are they coming now?" Carlisle asked, concerned for all of us.

"News spread about her vampire half," Alice told him. "They think she's powerful. They want her back."

"I hate them," I mumbled on Jasper's shoulder.

"I hate them too," he told me. "But I'm not letting you go with them."

"We'll fight," Rosalie said, joining Emmet's idea. "We can take them."

After our day at the beach and now all the crying I was doing, I could feel exhaustion creeping up on me.

"Relax, Puppy," Jasper mumbled to me. I felt a wave of tiredness come from him. I laid my head on his shoulder and let it overtake me.

I woke up in a panic in our room.

Jasper's arms were around me in a moment as he tried to calm me down. "It's okay. I'm here. You're here. You're safe."

I leaned into him as I took deep breaths to calm down. I could feel him trying to calm me down, but I could also feel his anxiety.

"It's okay," he told me as I finally calmed down.

"Nothing is okay," I told him. "Nothing is ever okay anymore."

"I'm not letting you go anywhere without me."

I pulled back from Jasper, looking him in the eye. "When are they going to be here?" I asked him.

"Day after your birthday."

I took a deep breath, realizing that meant they were coming in a matter of days, before responding, "Then I guess we're going to have the biggest birthday party ever."

Jasper just nodded, not sure what else to say to me. I got out of bed and changed. As I put on a new shirt, I heard yelling from downstairs.

"What do you mean?!"

I turned toward the open door, hearing the voice clearly. "Sam?" I questioned. I made my way out of our room with Jasper just behind me. We both descended the stairs as Sam continued to yell.

"I don't know what we can do!"

"What is happening?" I asked, making everyone stop yelling. Sam and Seth were standing in the living room with Carlisle and Esme.

"We were discussing what's going on," Carlisle said, looking over at me.

I looked past him to see Seth sitting on the couch with tears in his eyes. "Why is Seth here?" I asked, looking at Sam. We had agreed he would stay out of the crazy stuff from now on, but now he was sitting in the middle of it.

I walked past everyone and sat next to Seth, pulling him in a hug. "Do you really have to go?" He asked me.

"I think I do," I told him honestly, not wanting to give him false hope.

"There is no way we're letting that happen," Sam told me.

"There is no way we can go around an Alpha's orders," I told him.

"Emma," Carlisle said, trying to stop an argument. "What if Sam was your Alpha?"

"That's not how it works," I told him.

"Sam thinks it could," Esme replied, stepping closer to Carlisle.

"It could work if we had months where I permanently became part of this pack, but we don't have that kind of time," I told her. "And Sam should know that."

"What if it could work, Emma?" Sam asked me. "Isn't that small chance worth it?"

"It won't work, Sam. Stop giving everyone false hope."

Jasper quickly walked over to me, grabbed my arm, and pulled me out of the room into the backyard.

"Why are we out here?" I asked him.

"It seemed like you needed to get out of that room before you attacked Sam," he told me. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me close to him.

"Jasper?"

"Yeah?"

"When you said 'I'm not going anywhere without you,' what did you mean?"

"I've been listening to them argue all night," he told me, not exactly answering the question I asked. "And I know you're right. We're not going to get out of this on a technicality. So, when you leave with them, I'll come too."

We both stood in silence, watching a breeze blow the trees. "I love you," I told him.

"I love you too," he told me, kissing my cheek.

Later we had a family meeting with the entire pack.

"I don't understand," Paul said. "What do they want?"

"They just want me," I told him. "My old alpha, Jack, just wants to be the most powerful and feared. He used to hate me because I was small, now, he wants me because I'm powerful. I'm of use to him now."

"But that doesn't make sense," Quill told me. "How does power help him?"

"Jack likes waging war on other people and groups. He's fought plenty of supernatural creatures, and he could fight plenty more with me."

"So we fight him," Emmet said once again.

"You guys aren't understanding," I told him. "He can make me fight you with one sentence."

"He wouldn't," Noah said, astounded.

"He would, and he will. He's ruthless and doesn't care about what we want as pack members."

The Quileutes looked over at Sam, suddenly realizing how much power he had and how lucky they were he wasn't like Jack.

"So, what do we do?" Leah asked, not liking how dreary everything was.

"We just live as if it isn't going to happen and enjoy the limited time I'm still here."