Chapter 37

"She's being a bitch."

Dante sighed, slumping down on his seat. He nursed his aching forehead while he watches Romeo seethe in absolute hatred.

"Romeo——"

"No, I don't need you telling me to calm down." He said aggressively, stopping his pacing to glare at the man. "This isn't okay, Dante. She's hunting us down for fuck-knows what. She's killin' our men, boss. She's usin' them to find us and if we can't stop her then she's going to stop us first."

Dante knows that. He knows that Isabella's mother's not going to stop until they're all dead.    She's vengeful. And because what? Because of who?

What has Dante done to make her so vengeful?

"She has to be put down." Romeo gravely said, clenching his fist. He nodded slowly, as if they had already agreed on what he said. "It's the only way——"

"We're not putting her down." Dante growled, glaring at his right-hand man in anger. Just the idea of it makes him want to oddly hurt someone.

Romeo paused. His eyes slowly drifting towards him, his gaze painting in utter disbelief. His eyes blown wide, as if he'd seen something he's not supposed to see.

"You love her." Cold and emotionless as he said it. Dante was not ready for the truth his words had held.

Dante shook his head, trying to deny it. Wanting to deny the fact that it was true. The guilt ate him sometimes and the fire that burns from his wife makes him yearn for the pain it has.

How could Dante love such a person?

His wife wasn't always like that. She wasn't someone who'd hurt somebody. She was kindhearted and would fight for anyone's sake no matter what. She was beautiful, inside and out.

And he loved that side of hers.

He loved that woman and now he's just looking for that woman, knowing that she isn't there anymore to cure his aching soul.

"Dante..." Romeo said somberly, already spotting the lie. It was a bad lie in the first place. It was so obvious that they couldn't help but wince at the obvious truth laying between them.

Romeo's eyes looked at him in pity before his eyes clouded and then it turned into anger once again. This time, his eyes were blazing with it.

"I can't fucking believe you." His tone was sharp that it could have cut a person in half if it were a knife. Dante felt like he'd been sliced repeatedly with every word he uttered. "Fucking snap out of it, will you? Are you seriously thinking of your pathetic love life than this? This is serious, Dante! She's hunting down Isabella!"

"Since when did you care?" Dante barked, suddenly glaring at Romeo as if he'd killed his heart and buried it on the ground where no one could search for it. "No te importó cuando mi hija casi fue asesinada, ¿por qué el cambio repentino?"

(You didn't care when my daughter was almost killed, why the sudden change?)

"Because I'm her uncle, damn it!" Romeo slammed the palm of his hands on the table, causing a few things to rattle.

Dante's eyes turned wide in surprise. Romeo wished that he could paint that look because the satisfaction that rumbled from deep within him while Dante looks at him as if he'd outsmarted him was insanely gratifying.

His expression darkened when the realization flashed in his eyes. "You told her."

"Nobody would." Romeo sneered, grabbing Dante by the collar and the big man allowed himself to be pulled. "You wouldn't."