Family

Valen was up at four in the morning. She was in the gym, sprinting on the treadmill. She liked coming in early before anyone else. It was a nice time for her to be alone and get everything out as she beat up the punching bag.

Steve and Nat were the first ones to come in after her. Steve only offered a glance before going to the other side of the room. Valen was done anyway. Two hours were enough for her. She'd come back later at night when it was empty again.

Peter graduates high school next week. He already saved her a seat along side his aunt. Under the circumstances, they both knew she wouldn't be able to attend. The gesture was sweet. Instead, Aunt May promised to record the whole thing so Valen could watch it later.

Valen's lawyers Mr. Nelson and Mr. Murdock got a deal for her to stay in a hotel near the courthouse during the trial rather than staying in a cell. She will not be allowed to leave. She will also be under twenty-four hour supervision and have guards placed outside her room at all times. If she shows any sort of aggression to the guards or tries to escape, they will put her in a cell, which will hurt her defense.

It felt like she was suffocating sometimes. In her dream world, her and Peter run away together. They change their identities to no longer be who they once were. Free from everyone and everything. They live a quiet, normal life. It's all Valen would think about during her meetings with her lawyers.

Valen stepped out of the shower and headed downstairs to the kitchen. She grabbed some yogurt and put strawberries and blueberries in it as her breakfast. She sat at the end of the table thinking back on memories of when she lived here before.

"You're very solemn." Tony opened the fridge to grab the milk carton. When she didn't respond, he walked up to her and threw a stack of papers on the table in front of her.

"What's this?" She looked up at him confused.

"Just a thought. Something for you to think over."

Valen read through the legal papers. She stared at the same page for minutes as she realized what he was offering. "I'm eighteen."

"And?"

"Is it possible since I'm not technically a minor?"

"I wouldn't be offering if it wasn't." He pretended to act disinterested in her reaction when in reality he was begging for her to finally answer.

"You want to adopt me." Valen said to herself as she blinked rapidly trying to wrap her brain around the situation.

Tony shrugged his shoulders. "It's really just a last name change since you don't have one."

Valen stood up from her chair. She stopped trying to stop her few tears from falling down her face. She hugged him tightly. "I can't think of anyone else who I would want as my father."

Tony was slightly surprised by her openness. He was expecting a thank you, possibly a rejection. The tears and the affection threw him off guard, but he hugged her back.

"There's someone you have to meet. She doesn't work at the compound, it's why you've never met her before." Tony stepped back with a smile on his face.

"Who is it?"

"Her name is Pepper. She's the CEO of Stark Industries. She's brilliant. I think you'd like her."

Valen wondered who this Pepper was to Tony, but with his bright smile, she already had a guess. "When?

"Friday night. She can come here."

"Friday. I'll meet this lady friend of yours." Valen teased as she smirked.

Tony rolled his eyes before walking out of the kitchen. Valen chuckled as she looked back over the papers. She couldn't help but smile thinking about having a family.