A CASUAL STROLL

ALEKHYA

"Are you guys sleeping all this years. This is the count of unemployed in capital only. What the hell is going on in the leftover kingdom." I said to the officials incharge of employment and food distribution slamming my hand on the desk. Which got a crack by the beating. "And this is the food distributed among poor. Even the fort consume 10 times more food than this each month. Where is your head incharge ?" I said in rage clunching the document in my left hand. Entire department is on their knees trembling in fear. No one dare to reply. Slowly a old man came forward. "I am the incharge Yurani." He said looking at the ground. I leaned back on the chair crossing my leg on other one. Rubbing my forehead. "I don't know what you will do. I want entire report by tomorrow morning. All of you will lose your jobs." I said clunching my jaw. They all flinched at my voice. Without saying a word I got up and exited the building in rage. I felt a familiar presence behind me.

"Advisor Vinay. What are you doing here ?" I asked without turning back.

"Can't a humble servant have a talk with its master." He said chuckling slightly.

"We both know that neither I am the master nor you are the servant. So drop the formalities Advisor and state your business. Because I don't have much time." I said glaring in his direction.

"I was only 12 when my father took me to Former Maharaja Ranjit's court. He is quick witty and had a talent for seeing hiden talent. By 15 I was his main advisor later Maharaj Arun offered me minister's post but I declined. I like what I have now that thing is not my expertise. I like politics." He said with nostalgia. His eyes have a forlorn look. "Why are you telling that to me?" I asked unable to understand his talks.

"When Maharaj Arun coronated you as his heir I was the one who opposed him. I thought a girl can't protect the kingdom. They can only be used for alliances. But you proved each and every statement wrong. When you came to court I saw a eyes are glinting with exact glint of your grandfather. It was a golden age. I am not telling that Maharaj Arun is not capable but he lost his authority over the time. We lost our hope thinking soon our end is near. But today the way you spoke in meeting, the way you disciplined the officials, how you handled the situation. If your grandfather is alive he will be proud to see how his granddaughter is holding the pride of his house." I rolled my eyes at his little speech. "Please don't play in circles advisor." I was clearly irritated now. First the dumb officials and now this advisor Vinay.

"You have more power than king itself my dear. Because the king has continuous fear of losing its power, it's throne but you have none. Your authority is not undermine by a metal chair. Your grandfather once told me to pass his message to future line. ‘You will continue to suffer if you have an emotional reaction to everything said to you. True power is sitting back and observing everything with logic. If words control you that means everyone else can control you. Breath and allow things to pass." He said with a smile and left. But I understood the hidden meaning beneath the words. "I will grandpa." I said with determination and headed of to Sangit Mahal. "Don't disturb me tonight." I said to the newly appointed guards in a cold and emotionless voice. The sun had already set and my work is gonna began soon. I smirked at myself.

I dressed myself as a common man and hided my dagger in my waistband. I smirked at my reflection as I tied my turban hiding my face from view. I looked the chamber doors and entered the secret passage towards the army barracks where Karna staying hopefully alone I thought. I sneaked on the beam of his room. As I watched him walking in with his secondary in command Dhruv. That Dhruv is giving me bad vibes as like usual. I noted to keep a watch on him. Dhruv nodded and exited the chamber. Karna dropped his shoulders and settled on the couch pinching bridge of his nose. "Are you done ?" I asked in the same cold voice. He shocked and looked at the beam. "Wear some civilian normal cloths. We have urgent work." He opened his mouth but then got up and went to other room and changed into dark green cloths. I got down from my place on beam. And opened the panel behind which the secret way is located. We went inside and it closed on its own will. We entered wide hallways which have natural lighting system. "What is this place ?" He asked in amazement. "It's called as 'The Secret Labrinth'. Only selected members know about it. No one can use it without getting trap unless they have the map. Except me. It is made along side sewer and water system." I replied in the cold tone I am trying to master. "How did you know about it and do Maharaj know ?" He asked curiously. "Yes they know but they never felt the use to travel through it. I mastered it like back of my hand when I came to know about the shadyantra. I know it will come handy. The rebels can't use it also because it is very confusing and can't be travelled without map. It is only used extreme emergencies." He nodded in agreement.