10🔸Ayaz

It was safe to say that Ayaz's plan did not work as he thought it would.

He imagined the haris lowering their scimitars in fear while he and Badriya entered the cave smoothly. Them bowing to him was a long shot, but highly preferable for his princely ego.

That did not happen.

Telling them of his true identity was supposed to be his last card in the few ones he had in store for the situation they were in right now. It was stupid to think that that plan was even a plan. He made sure that he chose only the ones with the most impact, but why didn't he prepare enough right now?

Even though he was confident of his skill with the sword, Ayaz knew he couldn't take out five Khadysian haris all at once while protecting Badriya's back.

"Are you that desperate to escape us, Zecajian?" The leader of the haris laughed, and the others followed suit. "There's no way an arrogant man like Zecaj's crown prince would dare journey all the way to this dangerous land."

Ayaz glanced at Badriya standing beside him. Her dagger slipped from her grasp not too long ago. She stared at him with bulging eyes and gaping lips. She was shocked, that part was certain enough, but other than that, he didn't know what she was thinking.

He looked back at the haris. "I'm offended that you just called me arrogant. Confident, if you must, but I believe 'arrogant' is a title already taken by my father."

"Oh, so now your father is the sultan, huh?" Badriya seethed. "What other lies are you going to share? That my mother is the queen of Salym?"

Ayaz grimaced. "This is not the right time to talk about this."

"You're damn wrong if it isn't!" Badriya spat. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Ayaz simply sighed as he maintained his stance in front of the Khadysians. He expected that the time would come when his lies would unravel and she'd react in the worst ways possible, but he also expected that she had more composure in her to keep her anger in for later.

"If you are the prince, let's test if your reputation in battle is as ruthless as the rumors would say, shall we?" The leader pointed the tip of his sword to the sky. "Hujoom!"

Ayaz pulled Badriya away from the cliff the moment his sword clashed the two of the haris' scimitars. He heard her yelp, but he didn't have time to see where she landed when the guards pushed him back. They advanced at him with such prowess that he felt his foot teetering over the edge.

Growling, Ayaz fought back, pushing them with all his strength. One of the two stumbled, while the other merely took a step back. He swung his saif to the latter, to which the haris countered with his scimitar.

To his left, two more guards marched towards him. Ayaz twisted her sword around his opponent's scimitar, causing it to fall from his grasp. He then pierced his sword to the guard's chest. The guard cried out, and screamed further when Ayaz stabbed him in the chest and shoved him off the cliff.

As he picked up the fallen scimitar, a familiar voice shrieked.

Ayaz snapped his attention to Badriya and the remaining haris cornering her just beside the cave's entrance. The girl slashed her measly dagger at the other two Khadysians, who only stalked at her cautiously.

This is getting all too familiar.

Ayaz's sword and scimitar crossed his blades, clashing with the incoming haris'. He feigned a step to the right and swerved his sword to one of the guards' abdomen. With a choked gasp, the guard crumpled on the ground.

The other guard slashed his scimitar, gashing Ayaz's stomach. Grunting, Ayaz aimed his newly-acquired scimitar for the man's wrist, slicing his hand off.

The haris howled in pain. Ayaz finished him off with a cut on his throat.

Another shriek came from Badriya. "Get away from me!"

"Just give it up, bint," one of the guards said. "You are no match for us."

Glancing at the scimitar in his left hand, Ayaz threw it in their direction.

"Heads up!"

Badriya, along with the guards, ducked at the sight of the long blade flying towards them. It landed just within her arm's reach. Tucking her dagger away, she scrambled to reach for the scimitar, holding it awkwardly with her left hand.

Maybe Ayaz should have taken the sword lesson he owed her seriously. It would have come quite useful right now for her own sake.

The guards quickly recovered. One of them headed to Ayaz, while the haris leader remained to confront Badriya. Ayaz tried taking a step forward, but a dizzy spell hit him, forcing him to pause in his tracks. Looking down, he clutched his wound, a large amount of blood gushing out of it.

He can't fight like this. Even with years of training, he knew he couldn't tolerate an injury such as his while focusing on a fight. Another assault could cost him his life.

But Badriya needed help.

The fourth guard was coming at him. Shouts, firelight, heavy footsteps came from the cave. No. Another unit of Khadysian haris. If he thought he couldn't face a guard in his state, then he would surely die if he were to face a whole other group.

Badriya was barely holding on her own with the scimitar he tossed at her, but she might have to if she wanted to stay alive and get to the Jewel.

He gazed at his hand drenched in blood, then looked back at Badriya.

I will come back to you. I promise, and this time, I will keep to it.

And with that, for the first time in his life, Ayaz turned around and ran.

wc: 982