Chapter Seven

“Mr Peace is in his office, just knock on the door”

The receptionist gave me a small smile and left me to stand in front of the door-déjà vu much. Taking a deep breath to control my breath I slowly knock on the door with my knuckles. Waiting for a few seconds my inside of my ears were very hot but I tried not to think about that so I can hear him say come in.

“Get in here Koenraad”

Or he can say that to me instead. Slowly I open the door to his office and shut it behind me to see him working through some files on his desk.

“Mr Peace”

“Sit down on the chair in front of me”

 For the first time ever he actually wasn’t rude to me, he just sounded very occupied- which I can tell. Pulling the chair out I sit down on it and place my bag on my lap as I look at his concentrated face.

“Don’t stare at me like that” There’s the Charley Peace that I know. I quickly avert my eyes away from his face and look around his office, it looks the same but it still surprises me. “Koenraad you need to sign this contract if you want to keep your ass here” He threw the papers in front of me but luckily I stopped them with my palm before they could fall off the table. “Get a pen out and sign it”

 I quickly open my bag up and get a pen from the side pocket. Flicking the pages I don’t bother reading through it because I was trying to find the dotted line where I could sign. When I finally found it I quickly did my horrible signature and slide the papers back to him.

 Letting out an invisible sigh I look up to meet his dark brown eyes which were staring into mine blankly.

“What am I supposed to do now?”

My voice came out a little raspy so I let out a small cough behind my hand.

“You seem to surprise me each time”

He gets up from his chair and makes his way around the desk with his arms behind his back. I move my head to see where he was going…..

“Look straight”

He said loudly. My heart hammered in my chest as I look straight to his vacant seat.

“Never have I ever met a person so senseless. I know I’ve said this before but I ostensibly seem to repeat myself more than a few of times” He was still speaking loudly to me-I only understood half of the words he was saying to me, I don’t think I want to know what he’s really saying to me.

“You seemed to have a mouth on you back then Koenraad, what’s happened now? Lost all your confidence?”

“Um…..Sir-“

“Don’t call me sir; you will only call me Mr Peace. The ones who call me sir hold a very high standard which you aren’t even nearby” I think I already know that. “Now I will set the rules of which you have to carry out. If you don’t set them to the way I want then you know where the exit is”

Rules, he’s going to tell me what I have to do. I better note this down then. I quickly get my small notepad out from my bag and take the pen which I left on the table.

“Number one: you have to direct, receive and replay my telephone messages as well as the fax. Number two: direct all of my clients to the appropriate staff member. Number three: type all of my meetings and confidential documents onto Microsoft Word. Number four: maintain general filing system. Number five: you have to assist me with the planning and preparation of conferences, meetings and telephone calls if I am not available in the office. Did you get all of that?” Putting the pen down at the last second I nod my head slowly. My hand is really going to hurt at night today. “I said did you get all of that?”