Oraenmane

(Hyejin's POV)

"I need to go somewhere after here," I mentioned while Hana was retouching my lipstick.

My eyes diverted to the new bodyguard to show him that that statement was directed to him.

"And I prefer to go on my own," I continued.

He clicked his tongue and gave me a smirk.

"I believe that would be a negative," he started.

I stopped Hana with what she was doing by pushing her hand away as I stood up to face him.

"I believe..." I mocked. "You don't have a say about it."

He shook his head and smiled. "Ms. Kwon, you don't have a say about it."

"And why's that? Who do you think you are? You're just a bodyguard!" I snapped.

Hana just stood there awkwardly, overwhelmed by the attitude I was showing.

I was never like this to any staff, any employee, hell, I was never like this to ANYONE at all! No matter the circumstances.

But with all the shit that has been thrown at me, I feel like I'm just a ticking time bomb.

"You know why," a sly reply left his lips.

My hands balled into fists and my lips quivered from absolute rage because he was right.

I knew why.

The universe doesn't let me forget. It's the same shit every damn day.

The door opened and in comes my manager and staff from the photoshoot. Tension was in the air and everyone could feel it.

Her eyes shifted from me to Yeon to Hana then back to me.

"Come on! Double time! We have a tight schedule! Hana, make sure her hair doesn't look flat. I need her out in 5," she directed before leaving and slamming the door.

That didn't help.

My eyes never stopped glaring at Yeon as he seemed to be enjoying my emotions.

He slightly raised his eyebrows and smirked before leaving the room.

Hana had to give me a slight tug before she placed me back on her make-up chair and teased my hair.

I stared at myself in the mirror. Hana was too busy to notice a tear silently fall on my cheek.

I closed my eyes to stop more tears from coming and carefully took slow and steady breaths.

--

Another silent car ride. As usual. I didn't mind that. I preferred it instead of making small talk with Yeon.

I am aware that it's not his fault for being hired as my bodyguard. But it's not easy for me to just pretend that everything is okay when deep inside I feel like a prisoner.

I felt trapped.

I felt like I was someone who was placed in a glass box with people surrounding the outside, throwing constant criticisms at every little thing I do.

Maybe this is payment for selling my soul to this industry.

My eyes just wandered at the people on the streets-- jealous that they could be out freely.

As we passed by a familiar road, I noticed someone walking ahead.

He had on an oversized yellow sweater with the sleeves rolled up to quarters and a white cap worn backward. Along with black shorts and a pair of black slides, he strolled and blended among the rest of the citizens.

We stopped at a red light and he proceeded to cross the road. My eyes never left his direction as a small smile started forming on my lips.

I grabbed my phone and typed on it and before I knew it, the car started running again.

(Taehyung's POV)

I approached the cafe where I would be meeting Jungkook.

The city was quite busy today. It was a good day though with clear skies.

"Hyung!" I heard on my right.

The maknae with purple hair waved. His bright bunny smile lightened up the room as I made my way towards him.

"Did I make you wait? I decided to take a walk today instead of driving," I shared as I pushed the chair and sat.

"I just got here. Busy day so traffic was expected," he replied.

We both opened the menu and decided on our meals.

--

"So... How are you?" Jungkook eased in the question.

I look up after sipping my cafe mocha.

"Good. We live in one house, what's with the small talk?" I chuckled.

He shrugged and continued eating his bagel.

"Just curious," he brushed off. "You haven't been... as lively... as before. I guess. Yeah."

I slowly nodded completely understanding where he was coming from.

I twisted the japchae around my chopsticks and slurped it.

"Have you tried reaching her again? I heard she was going to be the artist of the month."

I shook my head and tried to keep her out of the discussion by giving short to no responses.

"When was the last time--"

"Jungkook-ah, can we talk about something else?" I unconsciously snapped.

"Oh... Sorry..." He replied and sipped his kombucha.

He nervously cleared his throat and tried to distract himself with whatever he can lay his eyes on.

Our table was silent.

The silence was so loud that I could hear even the slightest footstep in the cafe.

"Excuse me?" A soft voice came from nowhere.

I ignored it, thinking that it was from the other table.

"Is this seat taken?" That same voice asked.

Suddenly, I could feel the chair next to me being dragged and a familiar scent filled the air as the person sat.

"Hyung..." Jungkook whispered trying to get my attention.

My eyes glanced up and met with brown almond-shaped eyes. A wide smile formed on her lips as she looked at me.

I felt time stop-- as if the people in the background just paused.

My eyes widen at the realization of who was in front of me.

I opened my mouth, but couldn't speak. My voice hitched at the back of my throat. I could feel the fast pounding of my heart as I maintained my gaze at her.

Knowing that I couldn't utter a thing, I felt Jungkook kick my shin under the table, knocking me back to my senses.

"Annyeong, Taehyung-ssi," she warmly greeted, her eyes forming into upside-down crescent moons.

She looked over at Jungkook and greeted him as well before turning her attention back to me.

"It's been a while," she muttered.